Sign in to follow this  
redfordie

Newby Question....

linen beige

You haven't said why you think the starter is no good. Did it not turn when you threw the juice to it, or was it bad years ago resulting in it being parked? If it "went bad" just sitting, then it's likely just a corrosion problem. Disconnect it from the tractor wiring harness and run power leads straight from a battery. If it turns then you have a wiring problem. If it doesn't turn, and it's not locked up, turn it by hand a few times so the brushes will knock some crud off the commutator, then try the power again. If it now turns, check the wiring. I would start my search with the grounds and work backwards. Rust doesn't conduct electricity, and ground points seem to be a little more prone to rusting.

redfordie

ok, will do. Aynone know how much and what type oil i should be putting in this motor?

MaineDad

Straight 30W

Jim_M

ok, will do. Aynone know how much and what type oil i should be putting in this motor?

Just shy of 2 quarts of straight 30W. I use Shell Rotella T diesel oil because it has more anti-wear additive.

Teddy da Bear

Don't power wash that seat! It could not take it....lol

And my favorite quote: From Saturday Night Live! Dan "the man" Ackroyd!

Jane you ingnorant ****!!!

redfordie

Well, i took the starter off and gave it a clean up. Then got some jump leads and clamped on to seee if would actually turn over, and it did. Working perfectly, so i know that its a fault in the igntion. Either the solenoid or a wee mouse has had an all-you-can-eat under the panels!

While i was in there i took the carb off and stripped it down, re-built it and gave it a new shot of paint.

linen beige

Good deal! I'll bet it felt good to see it turning. You've probably already tried this, but hook it back up and see if the cleaning was all it needed to get it working. It just MIGHT work now,:whistle: but I'd say your right about Mighty Mouse's foraging excursion.<_<

If you do have to get into the wiring and don't have connections (Hey! I made a funny.:WRS:) with a wholesaler, Radio Shack may have the best selection of wire, connectors, etc. If your solenoid is bad it can be replaced with a less exspensive generic one from an auto parts store. They are really no more than a large, non-latching relay and anything rated for auto currents will handle the load. The rating for max. output should be way higher than the 'Horse can produce, just be sure the Min. input (trigger lead) is low enough for the 'Horse to energize it.

Let us know how it goes.