Sign in to follow this  
redfordie

Newby Question....

redfordie

Morning. I just joined as you guys seem to have the best knowledge as far as WH goes. Im about to acquire a WH 312-8 from the mother-in law which has been sitting idle for good long time. Its got a bit of the old "Pinky" paintjob and some light rust but is pretty much solid, which from what ive gathered is a WH trait!

I was planning to buy a new mower/tractor , but would much rather spend the time and get the old girl running. I know the starter/jenny is kaput and im on the lookout for a re-manufactured or brand new one to replace it. Would you guys be able to point me in the right direction.

Here's as much info as i have without taking the starter off:

12hp Cast iron Line

Model: K301s

Spec: 47624d

Serial: 7544709

I appreciate any help you can give me. :whistle:

jerrell

:WRS: welcome, i am a newbe also, and get great advice here, i had problems with my wireing on c175 auto and bought parts on ebay, they have a lot of parts and there is one person who buys wh,s and parts them out, :whistle: can't remember who, will research and try to get back to you. again welcome aboard

dgjks6

hi and welcome

lots of great info here

I have a 312-8 and a few year old craftsman special that my mom bought for about $1000

trust me - fix the wheel horse - it is twicw the tractor

I am also new at this but do you have the model number of the tractor - should be by the seat on a tag and look like 21-12k806 or something similar

if you get that, you can get the parts diagram

I did see some starters at some of the small engine places on line for about $200

Greg

KyBlue

Fix the old WH - youll be alot happier with it than any of the new Made in China, or at least very cheaply produced stuff thats on the market today.

For the Starter...Ebay if you dont want to buy a new one from one of the small engine suppliers.

here is a pretty good supplier -

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=kohler_...4&dn=0211010537

WheelHorse_of_course

Hello, and :WRS: ,

A 312-8 would have a starter (the gear drive "bendix type" ) and a stator and rectifier for charging.

If you have a starter generator (large belt driven device) then your tractor has had the engine replaced with an older one from prior to 1969.

If you can tell us what problem your are experiencing it may be that you will not need to replace anything, so let us know the details

As mentioned before, ebay is a good source for parts.

And unlike many forums, :D so post away!

You have made a good decision! :whistle:

Welcome and good luck :D

nylyon

Welcome to RedSquare. You mentioned a starter / Jenny, your tractor should not have a starter / generator, but just a starter. The starter / generator is a belt driven device running off the flywheel side of the engine. Assuming that you have the original engine, you should just have to worry about the starter. eBay is probably the best place (aside from a member here having one for sale). I am not certain which model engines will work, but the K301 was produced for quite some time so finding a parted one should be pretty easy.

I will speak on behalf of ALL the members of the board, FIX the 312-8. Unless you are prepared to spend the big bucks for an Ingersoll or equiv, you will not be able to get the quality of a Wheel Horse.

Again :whistle:

T-Mo

:WRS:

I can't really add anything than what has been said. Rolf is right, if your tractor has the starter/generator then the engine has been replaced at one time. You will find that when you get the 312-8 going, it's a beast and you won't find a better tractor in today's market, unless you're lucky enough to find a new Class 315-8 at a Toro dealer. :whistle:

TT

:D

That Kohler spec # comes up as being used on a 1977 C-120 automatic tractor. :whistle:

Can you get us some pictures ?

Anyhow..... the guys are right - should be a gear drive starter on this one. Most of the '85-'86 310's / 312's don't have the rectifier/regulator, but they still have an under-flywheel alternator for battery charging.

If you do decide to purchase a used starter from ebay, etc., make sure you look for a high mount and no a low mount. (they do not interchange) Look at your old one and compare the orientation of the mounting bracket.

If you have a small engine repair shop/Kohler dealer in your neighborhood, you can get one from them. OEM starters are close to $140 now, but there are also aftermarket versions available that sell for around $60.

Another option would be to have your existing starter rebuilt at a shop that specializes in starter/generator/alternator repairs and rebuilding. :WRS:

WheelHorse_of_course

But before you replace the starter make sure you know it is bad.

The easiest way to eliminate the ignition switch and solenoid is to take a jumper cable from the positive side of the cable directly to the terminal on the starter.

If that does not cause the starter to crank the problem is the battery to ground cable or the starter.

In that case run a jumper cable from the negative battery terminal to the mounting bold on the starter. Now run a jumper cable from the positive side of the cable directly to the terminal on the starter. If it now cranks the starter is OK.

If it still does not crank the battery is dead or the starter dead.

Duff

Let me join the ranks of those wishing you a hale and hearty :WRS: !!!!

The 312-8 is an awesome machine and more than worth repair/restoration. She'll serve you well for years to come with just regular maintenance and upkeep once you get her back up to snuff. And you've hit the mother lode of information at this forum - great bunch of folks (I'm a relative newbie as well) all eager to help out fellow WH'ers!

Again, :D

Deereman :whistle:

Teddy da Bear

Welcome to Redfordie!

Guys....I was looking at his pic. Now what is he wearing? Is it a judo outfit?

I was just thinking it would be a cool uniform for Red Square members...

Maybe like a Jedi?? only red with RS logo on the back and our name on the front....lol

I spend most of my day in a bathrobe....so I was thinking it would be similar...lol

:whistle:

CasualObserver

:whistle: Redfordie! I too noticed your avatar, and have to say... you need a good quote in your signature.....

perhaps one of my all time favorites?

Oh, Eddie... If I woke up tommorrow with my head sewn to the carpet, I wouldn't be more surprised that I am now. :WRS:

Curmudgeon

Welcome to Redfordie!

Guys....I was looking at his pic. Now what is he wearing? Is it a judo outfit?

I was just thinking it would be a cool uniform for Red Square members...

Maybe like a Jedi?? only red with RS logo on the back and our name on the front....lol

I spend most of my day in a bathrobe....so I was thinking it would be similar...lol

:WRS:

Are you really sure you want to see all of us down to our navels?????

This is for me :whistle:

wse100

Hey threr, :whistle:

I can't offer too much advice, except to say stick around...The guys here know all about the horses. They are pretty much amazing, and very helpful too.

Have a great day & I hope you get it figured out.

Charles

Curmudgeon

I should also say :whistle:

Don't let some of our horsing around fool you, if you have a serious question, someone will provide a serious answer. We just like to have a little fun too.

redfordie

Thanks very much for the welcome lads! :WRS:

Sorry about the starter/jenny mix-up, on a memory recall it is the bendix type.

Im having another look at it tonight so i will try and remember to take the camera and get a couple of shots and post them tomorrow. Im looking forward to stripping the WH down as its been a while since i last tinkered with engines.

The last little project i had was a single cyl. J.A.P. bench engine that my great uncle had lying around his tool shed. I did'nt know anything about it at first but came to find it was used on a variety of applications mostly as part of a jenny-set for starting up Spitfire and Hurricane aircraft during WWII.

I have no formal engine training at all, but do understand engine principles etc. I might ask you guys a bunch of questions, but like they say... " There are no stupid questions,.... only stupid answers." :imstupid: And from reading , i know everyone on here is really knowledgable so that wont be an issue.

You lads will keep me right! :whistle:

Teddy da Bear

Are you really sure you want to see all of us down to our navels?????

hey...Hey....HEY!.....let's keep it sophysticated..... :WRS:

No one said anything about "open" robes. :whistle:

Jim_M

9 times out of 10 the only thing wrong with the starter is worn out brushes. I buy them from a local starter/alternator shop for about 6 bucks a set with tax. You can also buy new bushings for both ends of the starter for around $4.00 a set if yours are sloppy.

linen beige

:WRS: My first car was a red Ford, '67 Thunderbird to be exact!

You may have noticed there can be a little Horsing around in some of the posts. But there is a WHOLE LOT more 'Horse sense here than there is horsing around. Ask away, if there is no answer here, there probably isn't an answer.

Ja-Tee you've stumped me on that one! :whistle:

One of my favorites. "Ward, don't you think you were a little hard on the Beaver last night?"

Another is from a film I can't recall the title of. The female star is exiting an office building wearing a fur coat. An animal rights activist confronts her and asks "Do you have any idea how many animals had to die so you could have that coat?". She replied "Do you have any idea how many animals I had to F^*# to get it!?".

redfordie

Got a couple of pictures of the 312-8, will have some better looking ones once its power washed :whistle:

312-8a.jpg

312-8c.jpg

312-b.jpg

T-Mo

Not bad looking tractor, especially once you get it washed and a possibly a new seat. It looks like it had a hard life previously, but it's a Horse, so it handled it. :whistle:

redfordie

Looking forward to see what i can find under the dirt. I think she hasnt actually had much of a hard working life, just ended up in this shape from sitting out in the elements uncovered for ten odd years.

She's due some TLC!

MaineDad

Welcome RedFord,

Like all the others are saying, it may not be the starter. I too thought I had a bad starter when I bought my 314-8. Turns out it was a bad solenoid. $40 buck later I was good to go.

That horse will clean up nicely and give you years of service. It looks like it's been outside a lot so you may want to drain the tranny gear oil before you ride it to get rid of any water in there. You can fill it back up with kerosene and drive it around for a few minutes then drain it again. That's a good trick to remove water from the tranny.

Best of luck!

dgjks6

Yep, it is a great tractor. I can't believe these things sit outside for so long, but should have little effect on the final product.

Now here is my advice. The guys here know everything, so what I would do is go buy a battery, hook it up, turn the key, and come back and tell the guys what happened. They will be able to get you up and running in no time.

Actually before I did that I would drain and replace the oil and change the plug.

Greg

Keep us posted!

linen beige

what I would do is go buy a battery, hook it up, turn the key, and come back and tell the guys what happened. They will be able to get you up and running in no time.

Actually before I did that I would drain and replace the oil and change the plug.

Greg

Keep us posted!

Good advice! But, if this has been sitting unstarted for ten years or so, the oil around the rings is probably long gone and has been replaced by a very fine coating of rust. Dry rings don't give much compression, making for more turns to get it started, and don't keep combustion gases from getting into the crankcase. They can also scratch the cylinder walls and shorten engine life. Remember, these are splash lube engines. Meaning if it aint running, there is NO oil going up onto the cylinder walls.

Pull the spark plug and pour in a teaspoonful or so of oil. Then pull the oil drain plug and just let it sit for at least an hour before turning the crank. You can ward off boredom by checking the points for pitting, cleaning or replacing the air filter, even cleaning the carb., etc. while you're waiting. Just be sure to refill the crankcase with oil before you start it up. Even better insurance would be to open it up and do a proper refresh/rebuild, but you have to consider the cost of that.