Sign in to follow this  
dwayneGT

82 'GT1142 workhorse repower

dwayneGT

The engine rod knock was getting worse every time ran the mower so I had a decision to make,rebuild the B&S or repower with a Harbor freight clone :thumbs2: Should I buy all the parts (and tools) for the rebuild or the engine... price wise it was just cheeper to buy an engine. So thats what I did. It went preaty smooth, it took about 4 1/2 hrs. The only mod. I had to make was to add two 5/8' spacers behind the PTO bracket to bring everything back into alignment. on a side note the pre drilled and tapped holes in the case are a perfect fit for the stock bracket,and their tapped with 3/8 nc thread. I also had to take the right front headlight out because muffler exits right behind it. I'll modifiy that later. If I can remember how I'll post some pics. Let me know what you think :banghead:

016.jpg

015.jpg

014.jpg

021.jpg

020.jpg

019.jpg

018.jpg

017.jpg

dwayneGT

Does anyone have any ideas on where I can pull a vacuum for the fuel pump so i can remove the tank from the engine and use the tractors tank?

sorekiwi

I think he's asking where he can get a pulse off the engine to power a fuel pump.

These guys sell a valve cover with a pulse fitting for the Honda clones: http://www.apskarting.com/ Search for AP5368.

Alternatively you might be able to drill and tap your existing cover for a fitting?

sgtsampay

Looks very nice with the clone under there. Whats the size of it, if I may ask.

Also, I agree with the idea about the electric fuel pump, if you don't want gravity, then that may the only way to go.

littleredrider

They have a new line of engines now, think it's the 13 or 14 horse.

I misread the post about the vacuum, but if you look to the right of that page, there is a right up how to hook up a vacuum pump.

Don1977

Nice looking repower.

dwayneGT

Thanks guys that will work perfect. The old B&S had a fitting on the dipstick tube

can whlvr

i did a honda conversion many years ago,i also had to remove the lights,but i got the pull start so no charging for lights on motor and no need for lights because of this,i use a tractor that is equiped if needed,i guess you could do a different exhaust,looks good and shes good for many years now

tarcoleo

I installed a couple of Hondas (one original, one clone) in C-chassies and run them famously with the Honda gravity-feed tanks. Both have electric starts, never used, cause they pull start without failure. Never mow at night, but plowing might be a different story.

Tom in RI

Mykol610

How do you like it? I got one a little while ago in my 1057. I was going to move it but I'm planning on a few mods to make it look better; more in place. I definately need to get the wheelie bars on it and work on putting the battery in so I can set up lights.

It's a replacement for a 13 horse but I was checking the numbers & 420cc is usually a 15 horse, so I don't know.

aeallison

Can't sleep so I figured I might dredge up an old thread. :help:

The engine rod knock was getting worse every time ran the mower so I had a decision to make,rebuild the B&S or repower with a Harbor freight clone

Do you still have the old B&S engine? If so would you be willing to sell some parts from it? Or maybe the whole engine? I have one that needs the carburetor and breather assy along with the throttle mechanism that is below the carb. I can't spend a whole lot on these parts but I might have some tradeable parts and pieces. :wh:

BTW: Nice job on the repower. :dunno: