Sign in to follow this  
JC 1965

Limit Switch

JC 1965

:banghead: Hi every one, I just installed a winch on the front of my wheel horse C-81 to lift my snow plow up and down. I have a bad back and it is very hard for me to use the manual lift. Can any tell me where i can find a limit switch to mount on the plow or on my tractor to keep the plow from slamming into the front axle when i lift the plow. Sometimes I don't let off the switch soon enough. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. :thumbs2:

CRE1992

You maybe able to set up a potentiometer hooked up to a switch, or a dtdp switch that is momentary on. If you are doing this, you may want to consider adding rupper bumpers to the plow for where it would hit the axle. Just my opinion on the subject.

Goodluck

-Charles

SousaKerry

you could use a cable clamp that would not fit through the winch this would stop the cable before it gets to high only thing is you would have to be quick on the button so you would not break anything.

An industrial grade limit switch that is capable of handling the current could also be used as long as it had both N.O. and N.C. contacts and it is wired properly. If you can't find a suitable limit switch a relay would have to be used. With a relay you could then use a proximity sensor. These are much more reliable and have no moving parts they just sense metal so it could be mounted so that as the plow frame comes up the sensor will detect it the relay opens and the winch stops. To reverse you bypass the relay so that it will operate even with the sensor blocked.

JUSS10

if you use a limit switch, make sure its set low enough to not only kill the power to the winch but also compensate for the distance traveled after the power is cut. if its like the winch on my jeep, even after i shut of the switch it "winds down" and comes to a slop but never stops the second the switch is turned off. now, this may not happen with yours, but just something to think about.

were you planning on cutting into the wires on the remote to add the limit switch or use a high amperage one on the master power? i would recommend wiring into the remote as you could probably get away with a low amperage switch there. this would also allow you to wire the switch in just the "up direction" circuit without affecting the "down circuit"

Justin

JC 1965

:thumbs2: Thanks to everyone for your suggestions on adding a limit switch to my tractor.

JC 1965

if you use a limit switch, make sure its set low enough to not only kill the power to the winch but also compensate for the distance traveled after the power is cut. if its like the winch on my jeep, even after i shut of the switch it "winds down" and comes to a slop but never stops the second the switch is turned off. now, this may not happen with yours, but just something to think about.

were you planning on cutting into the wires on the remote to add the limit switch or use a high amperage one on the master power? i would recommend wiring into the remote as you could probably get away with a low amperage switch there. this would also allow you to wire the switch in just the "up direction" circuit without affecting the "down circuit"

Justin

:banghead: Justin, Thanks for your help, I have 2 wires going to my remote one for up position and one for down. I will tap into the up wire and add the switch that way the down position will still operate the same. I just need to find a switch. I've seen several but some are not heavy enough and some would be difficult to mount. I will have to make a mounting bracket but just need to find the right switch. :thumbs2:

Don1977

How about using a mercury switch on the up circuit. I was talking to a man that Surveyed at the mountains. He said they had a tracked machine that when it got too steep a mercury switch would shut it down. Then they backed it down and find another way up.