Sign in to follow this  
JC 1965

Balance Gears

JC 1965

:banghead: Hi all, I am planing to try my first engine overhaul on an old K301 this winter. I've read posts where some guys say they leave the balance gears out when they do an overhaul. Why would they do that and is it a good idea? Seems like if they wasn't needed Kohler would have left them out. Any help appreciated, I'm trying to gather all the info i can before i start. :thumbs2:

SousaKerry

From what I understand the balance gears were an option if the manufacturer wanted a cheaper motor they specked it without balance gears.

MaineDad

Leave them out. If you keep them, you will need a special timing tool to re-install them that is very difficult to do.

They call them "Grenade Gears" for a reason...

shorts

If the engine didn't benifit from them being there the accountants wouldn't have allowed the engineers to install them origonally

SousaKerry

If the engine didn't benifit from them being there the accountants wouldn't have allowed the engineers to install them origonally

Unless of coarse a sales guy said it would be a selling point. If an Engineer says it won't work and a sales guy came up with the idea the sales guy will win 10 times out of 10.... I see it every day, Then I have to make it work for the Engineer :thumbs2:

Don1977

They made some with and some without, that ought to tell you some about what they are worth.

TT

Balance gears have absolutely no influence on how well the engine runs or how long it will last - unless one of them shatters and comes out through the side of the block. :thumbs2:

My vote is - and always has been - to remove them.

Jim_M

Throw them as far as you can.

tommy3horse

Toss 'em, I left them out on a K301 and a K341 without any additional vibration or other weird stuff.

Tom

:thumbs2:

Hydro

Suggest you check out Brian Miller's garden tractor pulling website. There you will find information on Balancing the Crankshaft and Piston/Connecting Rod Assesmbly.

JC 1965

:banghead: Thanks everyone for your input on leaving out the balance gears. I have read a lot of the info that some of you guys have posted and i have a lot of respect for your advice and knowledge. So i will be leaving out the balance gears when i do my engine overhaul. I'll probably be asking a lot of questions when i get started :banghead: i just hope i don't get on your last nerve. :thumbs2:

hm12460

You made the right decision Jerry. Those balance gears are bad news.

shorts

It's your choice, but my experience with other industrial engines is that they make the engine run smoother / less vibration and that leads to longer equipment life, Just because they take a special / different procedure or tool to install doesn't make them ''bad''.

It's kinda like some other members experience with their first rebuilds, and trying to shortcut recommended procedures and having to go back and redo their mistakes not once but several times to at twice the cost to get a quality job and results that they are happy with :banghead: :thumbs2:

MaineDad

Paul must be referring to me <_< But from all of the research I did, I am still happy I removed them...

sorekiwi

I am still happy I removed them...

I'm with you Micah, I'll be removing balance gears from all my motors any chance I get.

Jim_M

They're generally quieter and smoother running WITHOUT the balance gears in them.

kpinnc

Just because they take a special / different procedure or tool to install doesn't make them ''bad''.

Hard to argue that point.

However, I'll put it another way: There's never been a single engine failure due to NOT having balance gears installed. On the other hand there have been many times that the engines have failed due to the balance gears being left in.

Any internal engine part wears over time, and will eventually fail. But no other part in a Kohler engine (stock) can create so much damage when it fails as a balance gear can.

They're called grenade gears for a reason... :thumbs2:

shorts

Maine dad, not trying to single anyone out, after 40years as an engine mechanic I've seen lots of inexperienced people ask for advice and then shortcut the process only to have a bad experience that was then blamed on some POS parts,service,procedure or equipment. I,ve even been guilty of taking a shortcut and having it come back to bite me, example using the factory printed manual for timing specs on a mercury outboard and not checking the service bulletins for the correct current information, resulting in 3 melted pistons on the test run in a freshly rebuilt 150hp motor, resulting in buying new parts and staying up all night to rebuild the powerhead again. only made that mistake once. Since then I have been in the position to see lots of people do it to themselves with all kinds of engines and maintenance decisions, fortunately usually its only a money thing, but I have seen Life critical equipment fail due to self inflicted improper maintenance procedures.