Sign in to follow this  
Iceman10

My 1984 Wheel Horse C-165

Iceman10

I purchased this mower 2 years ago off Ebay with the intent of it being an upgrade from my existing C-105 (42"). The mower was located just north of Atlanta, GA. It is a 1984 C-165 with a 48" mower deck. After getting the mower home an evaluating its condition, I decided to do a complete restoration. I have just finished the mower and have decided to post some pictures along showing and describing the process I went through in resurrecting this classic black hood Wheel Horse.

Original Pictures as shown on Ebay.

wh1.jpg

wh2.jpg

wh3.jpg

Will post some more pictures tomorrow showing the tear down in process.

C-Series14

That ain't no little mower, that is a big garden tractor! :thumbs2:

Irv

Does'nt look too bad to start with. Nice tractor! :thumbs2:

can whlvr

lookin forward to more pics :thumbs2:

Iceman10

When I got the tractor home, I got it started and quickly figured out that the engine needed some major help. The previous owner ran the engine without an air filter for a period of time. As you can imagine, that Georgia red dirt is hard on a set of rings. Once I realized that the engine needed to be rebuilt and that the mower deck was in too bad a shape to fix, I decided that I might as well do it right and do a complete restoration. With an initial investment of $200.00, I still felt like I had a lot to work with. Below are a few pics as i started disassembling the tractor.

CIMG4656-1.jpg

CIMG4655-1.jpg

CIMG0377-1.jpg

CIMG0376-1.jpg

More Pics tomorrow showing the engine teardown and what I found.

COMMANDO6

Great! It looks like you're getting right to it. I'm waiting for the engine pics :thumbs2:

312Hydro

That tractor looked good when you got it. Must look absolutely great now! That deck looked good from the pics. Was it rusted or bad spindles? Can't wait for the finished pics! :thumbs2:

Iceman10

Mower deck looked good at a distance but had alot of rot. Spindles, pulley covers, and associated hardware was good. Stripped it down and threw away the shell. Have purchased a nice 48" deck which came off of a newer model 520H. I paid as much for the good deck as I did the tractor. I have included pictures of the new mower deck.

DSCF3388.jpg

DSCF3387.jpg

DSCF3385.jpg

DSCF3384.jpg

Very solid mower deck with only light surface rust on the underside. I like the later model decks. Much sturdier with the added spindle reinforcement plate on the top and the reinforment rod around the lower edge of the deck. Had to use my pulley covers off of the original deck. Will post the engine teardown tomorrow.

Iceman10

Below is a few pictures of the engine teardown. The engine was bored .010 over and the crank was turned down .010. A complete overhaul kit was purchased including rings, piston, rod, and gaskets. The balancing gears were a little loose so new bearings, shims, and snap rings were installed. New valves and guides were also installed.

CIMG4840.jpg

CIMG4839.jpg

CIMG4854.jpg

CIMG4842.jpg

My wife's cousin has a machine shop and did all of the machine work. I got a little lax with my picture taking during this time and didn't take pictures during the reassembly process. The worst part was getting my balancing gears timed just right. The Kohler K series manual has very good directions, but on one of the gears the timing dimple was a little off and I wasn't sure if I was one tooth off or not. Found a measured diagram on the internet of the balancing gear installation tool and I made one out of heavy cardboard and used it to figure out the correct alignment.

Pictures on striping and painting the frame tomorrow.

Iceman10

Frame restoration pictures:

CIMG0378-1.jpg

CIMG0380-1.jpg

CIMG4711-1.jpg

C-Series14

Now THAT is how you restore a tractor! Down to the frame!!! :thumbs2: It is the best way to do them in my opinion. Did you check the tranny plate for cracks?

Nice job!

massey

Great start, that frame sure turned out clean. :thumbs2:

spark949

What did you use to get that frame in that condition? A buffer? Best job I've seen. I need to to help me on mine.

Iceman10

Growing up I use to help my dad with restoring his antique cars. He tought me that the prep work makes the finished product. Every piece was taken down to the bare metal, primed, and then painted. There was no cracks in the transmission plate and the rear end was tight and in very good condition. I flushed it out with kerosine and installed all new seals.

DSCF3343.jpg

DSCF3341.jpg

DSCF3362.jpg

CIMG4708.jpg

CIMG4710.jpg

Raider12

Very nice looking job! What method of striping the old finish did you use? Sand blasting or just sanding?

Iceman10

Heavy duty stationary wire brush on a stand and sanding on the smaller parts. The frame was scaped with a paint scrapper and putty knife and then sanded. Sand plasting was only used for areas that were hard to reach. Mainly just a whole heck of alot of elbow grease. Did I mention I started this project 2 years ago :thumbs2: ?

Iceman10

Pictures of the work done on the front and back rims. Stripped them down to the bare metal, primed, and painted them with Sherwin Williams Linen enamel. Replaced the bearing in the front rims and had all new rubber mounted on the rims. Went back with the original size and type of tires (Carsile TurfSaver).

DSCF3364.jpg

DSCF3365.jpg

DSCF3326.jpg

DSCF3330.jpg

DSCF3337.jpg

COMMANDO6

Nice work on the restore. I love your creative tables! :thumbs2: And the color on that Chevy.

C-Series14

You are doing it the right way for sure!

wheelhorse656

Looking good!! i cant wait to see the finished product!!! :thumbs2:

Iceman10

Below are a few pictures as I started the reassembly process.

DSCF3373.jpg

DSCF3370.jpg

DSCF3381.jpg

DSCF3382.jpg

DSCF3376.jpg

DSCF3375.jpg

Coadster32

Looking good!! :thumbs2:

earlleecliffton

Nice work there :thumbs2:

Iceman10

Below are come pics showing the restoration of the center console. The console was a bear to get stripped down and remove all the rust.

DSCF3345.jpg

CIMG4860.jpg

CIMG4862.jpg

CIMG4872.jpg

Had to weld the left rear attachment portion of the console where the fender support attaches. This seems to be a weak area in these tractors. My 312 had the same exact break.

WH Raider10

Beautifull work!!! I'm jealous :thumbs2: :banghead: