Sign in to follow this  
Evil"X"

SD deck spindles

Evil"X"

I just replaced all 3 spindles on my 5-1010 SD deck. Got them in good condition from a member. But only after welding a patch where the center spindle tore up the deck after it imploded a few weeks ago. These aluminum spindles seem to be very prone to corrosion. I usually mow when it's as dry as I can although sometimes it's somewhat wet. The replacement spindles have no paint on them. To paint or not to paint, that is the question.

Evil"X"

C'mon guys! I see lots of lurkers but no answers. Somebody must have an idea.

Thanks.

smoreau

Well the under side of a mower deck is a harsh area! Paint is hard to keep on the bottom side and I would think the spindles would be the same. Painting them would help for sure, but how long that it would stay there :thumbs2: The big thing to do is keep the underside clean of grass build up. that holds moisture and does the most damage. I clean my deck out every other time I cut the grass. I also give the deck some grease after. Just keeping the deck clean will make the deck and spindles last.

Evil"X"

Thanks smoreau. Just what I was looking for. A short sensible solution.

dawg1340

Something my dad and I have always done is after cleaning the underside of deck spray it down with an aerosol grease (Grease gun in a can) I think it is called. Sure seems to work for us,,,,Dawg