Sign in to follow this  
StWeiler

Super hot coil...crossed wire?

StWeiler

Ok, so in messing with the 10 Auto this evening I was able to finally get spark. (New points, condenser, plug)

Now the issues is the coil gets super hot regardless of key position. I walked away from it for an hour or so to go grab some dinner, came back and almost burnt my hand on the coil. Now what'd I do..... :thumbs2:

rmaynard

Sounds like there is 12 volts to the (+) side of the coil all the time, and the points were closed.

Edit: Just wanted to add, the only way the coil will get hot is if it has 12 volts applied to one side of the coil and the other side is grounded, as in points closed or shorted condenser. An internal short would also cause heat. You need to narrow down where the (+) 12 volts is coming from, and why it's there with the key off. Then you need to find out what is causing the (-) side to be grounded when the points are not closed.

Martin

i second what bob said. also make sure that since the coil is getting 'super hot' that you dont have a coil that requires an external resistor. you need to have a internal resistor coil. it is sometimes marked on the coil. if not sure it would be safer to just replace the coil. after the 12+ voltage all the time problem is fixed of course. i would start at your ignition switch and make sure it is hooked correctly and switches voltage when in the correct key position.

rmaynard

Sorry Martin, I didn't see that you posted while I was editing.

Martin

Sorry Martin, I didn't see that you posted while I was editing.

thats ok bob. this is like going back in time for me. my 1054 had a hot coil problem when i got it. i was actually screaming at kent for leaving the ignition on when i walked back in the garage and the coil was smoking. ended up being a coil that was for ext. resistor and the ignition switch was for a mag ignition and so it was normally closed in the off position. didnt feel like a good dad when that went down... :thumbs2::banghead:

wiring problems are, from my experience, caused 99 % of the time by PO's who usually dont have a clue whats going on or are just to lazy to do a decent job fixing a problem. sometimes its just easier to replace suspect wiring with new and get rid of all the bad connections and the screwed up scenarios.