Sign in to follow this  
littleredrider

Size difference between 10/12/14/16 horse engines

littleredrider

OK so I picked up a 1045 with no motor. Course was originally a Kohler 10 horse. I'm seeing motors on craigslist, but not sure if they would fit under the hood of this. I don't really want to cut it up, would like to keep it close to original, but with a bigger motor if possible.

There is a C-160 for sale not far from me for $300, spare 8-speed too!!!!

Sparky

I think the physical size is the same, just the bore/stroke is different.

Mike........

littleredrider

A 16 horse would be sweet in there!!! Be more than enough power for a 42" snowblower....well, never enough power.....

It's either one of these, or the 20 horse V-twin, but I think that will take some work to fit....

littleredrider

Anybody else know??

Martin

id go for the 16 but it needs to be converted to starter/gen, just to keep the look. it would be neat to use the 8 speed but i think the bolt pattern is different and you would need to fabricate a shifter plate to suit the hi-lo lever. would be a really neat 1054 though.....or would that be a 1664? :thumbs2:

littleredrider

The 8-speed would bolt right up. Only have to drill a 1/2" or so hole for the shifter to go thru. I did this on my 63 ranger, has the same type of dash tower.

I'd love to go with the 16 horse, just want to make sure it will fit. I spent hours last nite looking for size comparison, couldn't find anything. I could find the H/W/D of a 10 or 12 but not of a 14 or 16.

If I find all the S/G stuff, it would be cool to put on. They are much quieter starting....

pfrederi

I looked in the Magnum Service manual as it has dimensional drawings. It shows the M10-16 as having same dimensions. Based on that I would guess that the K series would have a similar relation ship.

JUSS10

from my knowledge the 10-16 hp kohlers were all the same "big block" engines. so a 16 should fit just fine. as for the transmission, did you actually measure and look at all the alignment holes? the 1054 was quite a specific tractor and i have heard that throwing an 8 speed in is quite a bit more work than one would think. I'm sure the rear fenders being welded to the frame wouldn't help with the install either. Regardless, please do a build thread if you follow through with the engine and transmission swap!

Justin

Martin

The 8-speed would bolt right up. Only have to drill a 1/2" or so hole for the shifter to go thru. I did this on my 63 ranger, has the same type of dash tower.

I'd love to go with the 16 horse, just want to make sure it will fit. I spent hours last nite looking for size comparison, couldn't find anything. I could find the H/W/D of a 10 or 12 but not of a 14 or 16.

If I find all the S/G stuff, it would be cool to put on. They are much quieter starting....

I think you will find the 1054 bolt pattern is different..

JUSS10

I'm starting to wonder if he meant 1045 instead of 1054... a 63 lawn ranger doesn't have the same type of dash tower as a 1054, but a 1045 would be more similar in that regard to a 63 ranger.

Just a thought?

Justin

littleredrider

Its the 1045 not the like the 953. Didnt realize i had it backwards

Martin

i guess that would leave it up to me to create one then........

the thought has crossed my mind.

JUSS10

what, a 16 hp 1054? it to has crossed my mind as well. when i sold my GT14 i thought about swapping the motors but that would have just been irresponsible... haha

Kelly

Ok to put a 16hp in a 1045, not a 1054, you will need a small base block like the shaker style engines, then you will need the oil pan off a 1045, 1055 or 1075, they are very thin, you will also need the early 10hp small flywheel, and all the tin, along with the starter/gen. and all the brackets, you will have to make a top gen. bracket because the 16hp has 1o head bolts not 9 and where they added the extra bolt is where the bracket goes, it also would make thing easier if you had a 1" crank so the correct drive pulley will fit, I did the same basic thing when I put a 16hp in my rat tractor, I used a cub engine most of them have the small base block and 1" crank, if you use the big base block with the tall oil pan your hood will not fit, the dash tower is shorter on a short frame tractor.

littleredrider

Hmm, figures. A guy I work with is into Cub's, I'll see if he has any 16 horser's laying around.

What other engine would fit in there without doing all that?? Thought about putting the 10 horse diesel, but that is a tall engine...

Kelly

The 10, 12, 14 will fit also, but will also need to be the small base block, and you will need all the other stuff too, unless you want to start cutting.

littleredrider

If they are all the same size and require same to make it fit, might as well go with the 16 horse. You wouldn't happen to have that stuff would yah???

I really like this tractor, but didn't realize just how bastardized it is just to get stuff to fit. The hood I found out will fit a couple different years, but not many. Also the belt guard is unique. What is so special about this on the 1045??

Kelly

The hood will fit from any short frame tractor, so there is lots of choices, but some later ones have the cut out for headlights, the 1045 did not, as for the engine they only put the big block Kohler in a short frame tractor one year in the 1045, 1055, 1075, after that they only used small engines in the short frames, 1966 was the first year for the long frame tractor, they had a taller dash tower to help clear the tall big blocks, I'm sure I have a few of the parts you need, the list of stuff needed, is 1045 oil pan, small flywheel, blower housing for same, starter gen. brackets, I think but not sure they are special for the 1045 ect. starter belt guard, only fit the 3 tractors, the drive belt guard is 1045 ONLY, but is easy to make, a standard kohler belt guard was used the end near the engine is cut on a angle, the clutch and trans pulley are also special items only used on the 1045, 1055, the big Kohler sticks out to the right a bit and needed them to make the drive belt fit, again you need to start with a small base block, if your not sure what that is I'll try to find pictures I know it's on here some place.

littleredrider

The original drive pulley is missing on this one, has an aluminum piece on there now. The belt guard and S/G I'm not too worried about, I'm sure I can fab up something and make it work. I'm not going for 100% original, just a nice working tractor that looks original at first glance.

I'm definitely interested in those parts. I still have the lawn ranger stuff, so if you needed something maybe we can work something out.

littleredrider

I have an oil pan coming, but I'm looking for a small flywheel. Guess it's an 8", what other if any motors used this small flywheel?

I'm debating if I want to tear apart the 1055 I just got to build the 1045, or modify the 14 horse to put on the 1045. I still have the 10 horse diesel, but I might have to raise the hood a little.

Shuboxlover

Ok to put a 16hp in a 1045, not a 1054, you will need a small base block like the shaker style engines, then you will need the oil pan off a 1045, 1055 or 1075, they are very thin, you will also need the early 10hp small flywheel, and all the tin, along with the starter/gen. and all the brackets, you will have to make a top gen. bracket because the 16hp has 1o head bolts not 9 and where they added the extra bolt is where the bracket goes, it also would make thing easier if you had a 1" crank so the correct drive pulley will fit, I did the same basic thing when I put a 16hp in my rat tractor, I used a cub engine most of them have the small base block and 1" crank, if you use the big base block with the tall oil pan your hood will not fit, the dash tower is shorter on a short frame tractor.

How in the HECK do you know all that stuff Kelly :thumbs2:

....just amazing!!!!!!!! :banghead:

snookman1

kelly is definatley the man...... :thumbs2:

Kelly

Well you've been to my house Tyson, when you have as much stuff as I do you tend to learn a little.

I put a small base block 16hp in my rat tractor using parts off a 1055.

little red, you will need more than just a small flywheel, you will need the tin/blower housing and bearing plate to go with the flywheel, cubs use the small flywheel, and tin, but I'm not sure if the nuts are welded in the tin to bolt the belt guard to.

littleredrider

Do I need the bearing plate off a 65 or can I use one off another 10 horse?? There is a bunch on evilbay, they all look the same....

Kelly

The bearing plate needs to be for the small flywheel, one of a cub with the small flywheel will work, I'm going to send you my phone no. it will make things easier.