Sign in to follow this  
boovuc

Hoopla over 520's

boovuc

I see a lot of posts on RS on 520's. I joined the 520 club not too long ago and to tell you the truth............it's a let down to me. :banghead:

Let me explain! :banghead:

I have an acre of ground but really only a little more than half an acre of it is mowable. It is divided into a long side yard, a big front yard and two more small chunks that require mowing. I have old oak and hickory trees, some ornamentals, a clothes line and some bushes then it goes back to two fence rows.

The 520 H loves to tear into big, unobstructed grass. (48" deck). I have found I can mow my grass in equal time with less trimming using my 8-speeds and a 42" deck. Actually, my old 856 and the 310-8 turn tighter and I can do surgical close cuts on my 8 speeds better than the hydro. I don't think it is a "getting used to it" thing.

I have a very big driveway so the 520 will be blowing snow but as a mower, I question it's practicality for most people's yards. It's a big gas hog!

Just some thoughts and not a knock. If I mowed big open grass, it would be my #1 machine. :thumbs2:

Horse Fanatic

I guess it depends on the yard. I used to mow with a 312-8 and a 42" deck. I switched to a 516 hydro and a 48" deck. With the wider deck and the hydro I cut 1/2 hour off of my mowing time.

CRE1992

I think it depends more or less on your yard, and what chores you choose to have the tractors perform. I live on a farm and I use both my 416H and my 520H. My 520H has a 60 inch deck and I use it for mowing the fields and it takes me about an 1.5 hours to 2 hours to mow everything from front yard to back. But If I used my 416H with the 42" it takes me close to 3 hours because I just go back and forth in straight lines. But I have a property in upstate NY and I mow about 1.5 acres but I take the 416H with the 42" because the 60" is to big to fit on my trailer lol. However for winter duties, a blower will be on the 416H and the plow with be on the 520H. Both will be used for the winter duties. (Reason being is my 520H is mint and I don't want it getting that wet :banghead: ) I would have to say the 520H is definitely more of gas hog than the 416H because the 416H has a de-rated engine with a different cam and such though the same block, and with the 520H I feel like I fill up more often. I enjoy my 520H a lot, but for an all around tractor the 416 is really nice also. Besides the fact that the front end and steering on the 520H is more heavy duty. They are really not necessary unless you have a FEL, 60" deck or want to blow snow faster. All a matter of opinion :thumbs2:

-Charles

HorseFixer

Besides the fact that the front end and steering on the 520H is more heavy duty. They are really not necessary unless you have a FEL, 60" deck or want to blow snow faster. All a matter of opinion :banghead:

-Charles

:thumbs2: Faster? How about Farther? :banghead::D I cant speak on the Mowin cause I can cut my grass with a weed wacker. :thumbs:

I guess Ill hafta build a refinery so I can fill up. :thumbs:

~Duke

CRE1992
Besides the fact that the front end and steering on the 520H is more heavy duty. They are really not necessary unless you have a FEL, 60" deck or want to blow snow faster. All a matter of opinion

HorseFixer

Charles, I knew ya meant that too :banghead: I just had to have some fun, cause I think its cool blowin it over my Neighbors House :banghead::D

And ya gotta give the 520H some Style Points Cause the Dash & Gauges are Really Cool Too. :thumbs2:

refracman

I'll put my 2cents in for what it's worth. :thumbs2:

There is only 2 things that are worth haveing off them. The gauges are nice and the easy steer for a FEL, other than them 2 things you can keep them. I've had 5 of them from a 88 to a 96, so I know a little something about them.

The wiring is substandard, the onan is a pain and the controls on the steering column are clumsy. The deck while just plain a beast does not cut as well as the 60" C195 deck.

boovuc

With this, I'm over 4 cents worth of opinion but your right about the gauges and the steering column control is awkward. I had both console and column controls on a hydro and I tend to like the lever on the console. The wiring on the 400/500 series is a little suspect.

Going back to what Charles stated, it's a matter of opinion but I like my 416 and 310 8 speeds and I love my C-175 8 speed for doing just about everything.

I have a real strong feeling I'll like the 520H for blowing snow this winter.

My 520 turns as if it has power steering so with the blower on the front, it should be much nicer than when it's mounted to the C-175.

Oh and the 48 inch deck I have on the 520 was off a C-195. It has the best cut of anything I have ever mowed with, hands down. I have heard that the 60" deck from the Super C was also a great cutting deck.

To me, I can stop and shift quicker forward and reverse with an 8 speed than fanangle the column mount Hydro for cutting grass in a smaller yard.

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

Nick

Most of that is personal preference and probably isnt going to change once your set in what you like. But Im not sure about a 310 or maybe even the 856 having a shorter turning radius than a 520.

Ive never used the stamped out 60" deck or the little 37" high vac deck but for me when there is room to use it the 60" 520 deck cuts better than any other Wheel horse deck.

zieg72

I have only had a few but the steering is what has sold me. The weight versus a 417-8 hands down does better with a plow for traction with turf tires and weights only but I have a flat nice black top drive. I can plow easily with the 64" plow and move a lot of heavy snow with it, where the 417-8 could only manage the 48" plow for the heavy stuff. For cutting the grass the 60" deck does a very nice job, and comparable to the 52" deck on my 269H. The wiring does have issues but mainly just the fuse box design. Once they are converted to sealed fuses I haven't had one issue with it. I had a newer 416H and it did fine and probably would have been a great tractor if it had gear reduction steering.

HorseFixer

The wiring does have issues but mainly just the fuse box design. Once they are converted to sealed fuses I haven't had one issue with it.

Hey Zieg, what the deal on this Fuse Box Do Dadd? :thumbs2: Talk to me. Any Pics? And whats so bucked up on the wireing? :banghead: Also Gonna need a Carb kit for the one Im getting where is the best place to get stuff for the Onan's Any Part #'s?

Any other things I should know you guys lay it on me. :banghead:

~Duke

zieg72

The wiring does have issues but mainly just the fuse box design. Once they are converted to sealed fuses I haven't had one issue with it.

Hey Zieg, what the deal on this Fuse Box Do Dadd? :thumbs2: Talk to me. Any Pics? And whats so bucked up on the wireing? :banghead: Also Gonna need a Carb kit for the one Im getting where is the best place to get stuff for the Onan's Any Part #'s?

Any other things I should know you guys lay it on me. :banghead:

~Duke

Maybe it is just the most discussed wiring problem is the fuse box area. Water gets in easily and starts corroding the connections, wires heat, short then it is plain dead. Compared to a C165 they seem complicated but they are really not. The tach is a problem with a lot of them but no big deal if they don't work as it doesn't effect anything else. They mostly get a bad rap with the rear cylinder valve seat issue and yes parts are expensive. Pictures I don't have, I just get a good quality fuse holder with a sealed connection and replace the problem fuse box, there is only 3. Another common problem I have seen is overcharging which is a $30 fix. Gas hogs, maybe compared to lower HP engines but I would expect that, kinda like comparing my 350 engine in my 85 C10 1/2 ton pickup to my 85 C20 3/4 ton with the 454. The 454 does so much more and it takes more to run it. I haven't worked anything less than a 19 hp to judge fuel usage but I almost bet if you figure out what your time is worth taking a 520H with a 60" deck cut a 1.5 acre of plush thick grass going around about 45 trees takes me just under 2 hours and just over a gallon of gas. You are probably going to use about the same with lower HP tractor, have to go at a slower pace and take a lot longer with a 42 or 48 inch deck but take about 3 hours to do it. As others have put it we all love our Wheel Horse tractors and have preferences as to our favorites for very good reasons. For me I can deal with the issues at hand because I have an excellent resource to come to, like I did by joining this forum in 2007 when I bought my first 520H complete with its own set of issues.

Raider12

These machines may have a few down sides as were stated here, but they are a work horses and have a lot of advantages to. But like any other tool you need, you select the right tool for the right job. If you mowing a typical city lot and have a 520 with a 60" deck...... well, some may say thats over kill and yes you probably would use more fuel than another method to maintain the lawn. (but you be king on the block doing it). But on the other hand if you have a much larger piece of property then the fuel consumption and many more of the benifits of the horse power and size will pay off. I mayself, the one iteI found disappointing was the super easy steering. Yea it's easy, but its kind of like riding a 10 speed bickle down hill in first gear, you will pedal your legs of to get any where. Now keep in mind, I use this just to mow grass with. If had a large 2-stage blower of an FEL then this would be something I would appreciate a whole lot more Im sure.

This is just my 1/2 cent worth. (Still a wonderfull machine)

Hydro

I think the real issue you have is the 48" deck coupled with the wider stance of the 520. I had a 520 and a 416 at the same time both with 48" decks. I could carve around trees and shrubs much easier with the 416 as there was more deck on either side of the rear wheels. Cutting speed was about the same. Yes a bit more fuel. I liked the 416 better for cutting my 1.5 acres.

zieg72

Yea it's easy, but its kind of like riding a 10 speed bickle down hill in first gear, you will pedal your legs of to get any where. Now keep in mind, I use this just to mow grass with. If had a large 2-stage blower of an FEL then this would be something I would appreciate a whole lot more Im sure.

You are so right... I just cut grass with my newest purchase and I see what you are talking about. I have always had a spinner knob on my 520H and for sure this one is going to get one.

6wheeler

I got 2 cents :thanks: . My 520 is awsome. I have a 48" deck on it and it hands down out cuts the C-165 with the same deck. It turns so easy and yes I agree the column control sucks but, I will take it. I have cut my mowing time from almost 4 hours, down to 2 and 1/2 hours (with the missus mowing with her little STX). We mow close to 5 acres total. And as far as snow removal, I have my bobcat and a 7 and a 1/2 foot blade for it. I got the 520 for the hydraulic lift cuz my arm was getting tired lifting the garden implements. I didn't need to plow or anything yet so I put the deck on it to see what it would do. Now I can't wait for the gardens to be done so I can plow with it :D:thumbs::thumbs: . If it developes any problems I'll just fix em. It is kind of thirsty though. But, I always say, there is no substitute for cubic inches :thumbs2: . Cubic inches=Horsepower! And horses are hungry...... I think I'll keep it :banghead::banghead:.

jimbo7921

i use my 520 with a 60" deck on 3/4 of an acre minus house and flower beds. Yeah , I know it is alot of over kill to say the least. But let me tell you, when i fire that thing up all the neighbors sure take notice, nothing brings beer out of the their fridge better than that tractor and a 30 minute hair cut in there yard.

zieg72

i use my 520 with a 60" deck on 3/4 of an acre minus house and flower beds. Yeah , I know it is alot of over kill to say the least. But let me tell you, when i fire that thing up all the neighbors sure take notice, nothing brings beer out of the their fridge better than that tractor and a 30 minute hair cut in there yard.

AMEN, preach it brother. I would own more if I had the room. I can tell you if I run across another with a smoked wiring loom or a bad Onan I will ****** it up. I really miss my Conversion that I sold Operator. Talk about easy steering with a K341 for an engine....

JackC

I love all my horses. I use my 1989 520HC with 48" deck for mowing a large open lawn next to a lake. You can't beat the sound of those 20hp ONANs and the machine flys through my large lawn area. I always look forward to mowing the large open section of my lawn with the 520HC. I use my 1994 416H with a 42" recyling deck to mow another sections of my property around buildings, cars, trees and gardens and don't have to worry about flying stones, dirt, or grass. I use my 1981 C-175 Auto with a replacement Kohler K17 Series II engine for pulling a cart around. It idles down beautifully. I use my 1977 D-160 beast to move heavy docks around at the lake. The 520HC just spins its wheels and does not have the weight needed for that job.

With multiple machines you don't have to change attachments or put a lot of hours on any one of them. I like the console shift on the 1989 520HC better than the column shift on the 1994 416H. All great machines for the purposes that I use them for.

Get with the program, you need several, one for each applicaton, and a few extras to boot for back up or just for the heck of it.

Raider12

I know it is alot of over kill to say the least. But let me tell you, when i fire that thing up all the neighbors sure take notice,

Now that I will agree with, no question I have the "Cats meow" when it comes to tractors.

jimbo7921

I have a neighbor across the road with a big lot, a push mower and always has a fridge full of beer. Being the caring neighbor I am, i always make a habit of going over and ripping off his lawn for him and having a few cold ones when I'm done(gives me an additional 40mins of riding time to). Anyways, the first time he heard me fire up the deck and crank the throttle, he told me he thought it was a airplane till he looked out the window and saw me on the tractor. The cats don't hang out for long when that beast starts up!!!

HorseFixer

i use my 520 with a 60" deck on 3/4 of an acre minus house and flower beds. Yeah , I know it is alot of over kill to say the least. But let me tell you, when i fire that thing up all the neighbors sure take notice.

AMEN, preach it brother. I would own more if I had the room. I can tell you if I run across another with a smoked wiring loom or a bad Onan I will ****** it up. I really miss my Conversion that I sold Operator. Talk about easy steering with a K341 for an engine....

Hmmmm Im likeing to hear this :thumbs2: all I can say is Sing It Boys! :thumbs: I Aint even got the blasted thing home yet and I'm getting a lil excited. I Had a couple PM's on the Wireing Harness problems, and I agree nothing a good soldering Iron, shrink wrap, and heat gun cant take care of. :banghead: look fwd to getting it home in a couple weeks. :banghead: by the way I have a quick question the Batterys in front of you, the terminals are closest to you, is the positive terminal on the left or the right? And are they Tabbed or Round Post Style?

:D ~Duke

SAM58

Positive left side tabbed...

kpinnc

To me, I can stop and shift quicker forward and reverse with an 8 speed than fanangle the column mount Hydro for cutting grass in a smaller yard.

You may want to check the friction cam under the seat of the 520. Sounds like it's sticking... :banghead:

I love my 310-8. It's the most dependable tractor I own. But my 520-H (repowered) with a 48-SD deck is twice as fast for mowing. As you said, it's what you get used to, I guess. I mowed with the 310-8 and 42SD deck for years, but can mow in half the time with the 520-H. 8-speeds are great for tilling and plowing, but mowing and pushing snow and dirt are awesome with a hydro.

If you're not pleased with the mowing the 520-H provides, then I have high hopes for the snow blowing. It's an awesome tractor. :thumbs2:

refracman

"Get with the program, you need several, one for each applicaton, and a few extras to boot for back up or just for the heck of it. "

Yup couldn't agree more.

Got a few that are used through out the yr dependin on the job.

Don't get me wrong, I still have a 93 520 but I prefer the others over it, because of the issues inherent with it that the others don't or will not have.