Sign in to follow this  
Carlsbarn

diesel

Carlsbarn

I would like to put Kolher diesel 9 or 10 H.P single in my C-175.Has anyone ever used one.and would Toro dealer do it for me. Was also wondering how it would compare to my 310-8 for power.

sgtsampay

Hello. Um, here what I have learned/experience with my 10HP diesel and such.

The Diesel "power" vs. a Gas engine's "power" is like comparing apples to oranges. The diesel engine handles loads differently than gas engines do. For instance, on a gas engine, you can tell if its under load/working the governor. You can also tell when you hit some tall grass for instance while mowing. With my diesel, if i hit tall grass, it makes no different sounds and just keeps chugging. Now, don;t get me wrong, you can bog down a diesel, but I find thats its harder to do since a diesel max torque is at 1500 RPM unlike most gas engine which are @ 2500 and then they drop torque.

Anyway, I have used my 10 Hp for tilling and mowing and I have yet to stall it or to make it bog down/smoke. Instead, I have broken two mower deck PTO belts "Mabye i made them to tight?"

Now, on the down side. The diesel has a much deeper running tone. Its not louder i think but it deeper, so you notice it more. Also, you will smell it and really smell it when you give the trottle or start it up.

So, I think going with a diesel is fine, but like everything its not perfect. Oh, and i forgot to say that its fuel consumption is a about 2 time or better than a gas engine of the same power.

Lastly, I would go with a carrol steam diesel if you want to go diesel, only because the Kohler diesel are very expensive. The Carrol Steams are imports from China, but many are reporting great things about them and since this is the third generation of these motors, it seems like most of the bugs have been worked out.

O, and a Toro dealer may install it but they will charge you some cash. If you have the time and some tools, then installing it yourself is not that hard and many people here on the board are more than happy to help out.

Well, good night and i hope that helps you in your quest.