Sign in to follow this  
Raider

The Smallest Tractors

Raider

When we were kids my dad was always bringing home these little tractors from auctions and rummage sales and get them running for us to play on. They had pull-start vertical engines up front, a forward/neutral/reverse transmission with shift lever under the seat. They looked like a traditional lawn or garden tractor but were miniature, no bigger than a push mower in width. We took the blades off and 'raced' each other. I'd sure like to have a couple again now that we've got kids of our own.

Who made these mowers and where are they now???

CasualObserver

I believe you're referring to a Big Mow or Ride-King (the upgraded model)... made by the Swisher corp.

big_mow.jpg

Swisher is still in business...http://www.swisherinc.com/ they make ZTRs and pull behind ATV mowers. They actually still make the Big Mow and Ride-King models, they're just nowhere near the same size anymore! As for where are they now.... on ebay once in a while.... my dad still has one in one of the outbuildings at home. Basically... they're still at garage sales and estate auctions. Same place your dad found them.

swisher-big-mow-zero-turn-mower.jpg

CasualObserver

Now that I just finished that other post.... it occurs to me you may also be talking about a Mustang Mowett?

20070903_101845_mustang-forum.jpg20071002_180156_mustang-front2.jpg

I can't tell you much about them except that they are tiny little mowers. Mustang was one made by the Mowett Corp, I think there were a few others that had similar size/shape mowers, but I'm not familiar with the names. Maybe someone else can come up with some. I've seen a couple of these at flea markets/swap meets recently, but had no interest in picking one up.

wse100

I saw an old swisher "Big Mow" sitting by the road one day. I will never forget it, cause my oldest son thought it looked funny, And I thought the name was funny...Big Mow! and it was a little bitty three wheeled thing.

KyBlue

Big Mow... youd imagine itd be this 120" deck twin engined thing with like 8 wheels.. not a three wheeled jobbie.. that is funny!

Jim_M

Here's another tiny one.

8e91_1.jpg

Raider

The mowers we had didn't look much like the Big Mow. They were more similar to the Toro or Mustang. The gearbox and chain drive of the Mustang look familiar. They had four wheels and pneumatic tires. In fact one of them we put some pretty big tires and wheels on and it went quite fast. That one had a deadman clutch arrangement and I'm not sure it had brakes. It was the fastest tractor in the neighborhood at least that the kids were allowed to ride. I should have been paying closer attention. Keep the ideas coming please. I'd really like to find some small tractors. The Toro pictured is really cool, love to find one of those!

linen beige

One of my growing up buddys worked at the local Western Auto after school. He brought home a Mustang very much like the one pictured in Ja Tee's post ( I don't know if Western Auto sold them, or if it had just been there for repairs, trade-in?). We put larger wheels on it and it was the fastest "go-cart" in town! :whistle: Couldn't really stop it though... :WRS:

That was his first Mustang, now he owns a whole barn full of Ford Mustangs, and I think still has the mower. We always thought the trailer hitch was a bit optimistic. :D

Curmudgeon

You have to admit one thing. There is nothing available today with the character of those little old girls.......... Almost makes me want something besides Wheel Horse. Almost.

perry

i have a swisher and a couple of those mustang's in the yard. but they are rough.

craftsman / sears also made some little mowers. i just had a 6hp craftsman recently with a fiberglass hood and tiny little wheels.

hodge

A little off the subject, but not far... when I was a kid, my dad wouldn't hear of paying for a motorcycle or atv, so we had to make our own. My friends and I were always on the lookout for donor tractors, and once they were in our hands, we had all kinds of fun. Dual wheels, changing pulleys, etc.- nothing couldn't be done, with enough donor parts and ingenuity. I don't beleive for a minute that we would have enjoyed something "store bought" nearly as much!

Come to think of it, I don't think that I have grown out of that phase...

Raider

That sounds an awful lot like the way I remember it Hodge. Not sure I've grown out of it either :whistle:

Curmudgeon

To continue with the off-topic mode, we used tractors, as in farm tractors, for our source of speed, about 18-20mph depending on the tractor.

Save all the binder twine from the hay and straw and braid it into a long rope.

In summer, build wheeled contraptions to haul behind it, we had a go-cart as we called it, really low and wind, great fun. It was really easy to reverse the steering on it, you know, turn left, go right. That was interesting. Especially if someone had done it and you didn't know!

In winter, it was old car hoods, etc. Ever go skiing on a car hood?!

Robbie C.

1966 Huffy maybe :whistle:

Jun10381.jpg

Jun10382.jpg

Jun10380.jpg

linen beige

To continue with the off-topic mode, we used tractors, as in farm tractors, for our source of speed, about 18-20mph depending on the tractor.

Ever go skiing on a car hood?!

Daddy's old Fergy TO-20 would FFFFFFLY! And remember the Oliver's with "road gear"? :whistle:

The hoods from the 40s and 50s that wrapped down over the top of the grill were great when flipped upside down! :WRS: Seems like every winter though at least one drunk would get hurt pretty bad by rolling off one being pulled behind a truck! :imstupid:

Raider

The Huffy looks more familiar than the rest from my memory. They are ALL really neat though and I'd love to have a couple of any of them someday. Does that Huffy have F-N-R only transmission? I think the one I remember best was powder blue hood and white engine and trans. It did nice wheelies up the driveway too :whistle:

WheelHorse_of_course

And to think :whistle: I thought there wasn't much out there smaller than a Lawn Ranger! :D :WRS:

linen beige

And to think :whistle: I thought there wasn't much out there smaller than a Lawn Ranger! :D:WRS:

lawn skiffs? And they say Wheel Horse on them. :D

Teddy da Bear

Here is one I saw at the Fulton County show.

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-11-1214504476.jpg

Teddy da Bear

And here is a fascinating one. And it has "Craftsman" on it....as in Sears???

Look at the size of that flywheel? under it...

This thing wasnt barely 3 ft. long

post-11-1214504708.jpg

TT

And to think :whistle: I thought there wasn't much out there smaller than a Lawn Ranger! :D:WRS:

A round hood Lawn Ranger is basically the same size as your 854, Rolf. The biggest difference is the tire sizes. :D

CasualObserver

Mike, those are great pictures. That Amigo is a rare bird... as is that Craftsman. It is actually a Hiller Yardhand with a different name. Check out their specs on this collector's page. He has both versions, and a pic of them sitting side by side.

Russel Miner's Garden Tractors

Curmudgeon

Really! I went to a show last summer that had Amigo's all over the darn place. Somebody must have spent some serious time tracking them down. Have to admit though, it's the only time I've seen Amigo's. Except for those new fangled ones that won't cut grass.

Teddy da Bear

Here is a Mark 8 Continental...... Looks nothing like the luxury car of the early 90's....lol

post-11-1214514732.jpg