Sign in to follow this  
JUSS10

Montgomery Ward generator

JUSS10

does anyone have any info or experience with older montgomery ward belt drive generators? i have the opportunity to buy one that is 110 and 220. i would have to build a mount for it but the price seems right. any input?

Justin

shorts

no experience but it is probably a generac or some other manufacture with a paint and decal package. ifit has id that tells you what its capacties are info should be available online.

JUSS10

well i finally picked up the generator today. below are a few picture. unloaded it and set it on the ground grabbed an old drive belt and stretched it tight off the front of the 854. well even with the engine up to a decent speed the gauge on the generator didn't budge :thumbs2: that said it was kind of a rinky setup... i plan to run this thing off the front of my 1054. there is a switch (or what used to be a switch) on the top of the generator to select between 110 only or both 110 and 220. the lever is totally missing so I'm guessing the switch might be shot.

has anyone ever had any experience with one of these? It just looks like a giant starter generator and looks to come apart in a similar fashion I'm just nervous to start taking it apart. thoughts?

2011-09-13_18-22-43_283.jpg

IMAG0224.jpg

shorts

their is nothing inside to be afraid of, carefully pull the end bell and make sure that the brushes can move freely and clead up the commutatot on the armature and try it again. the switch is probably something generic, look closely at it it will probably have all the info you need on it to find a suitable replacement locally.

JUSS10

Thanks Shorts

are the outlets and all that attached to the endbell when i pull that off? i guess that was the part that was worrying me. I will make sure to check the brushes. is there any chance i may have to field flash the generator to get it charging again? i read about this online how some generators can loose their magnetism over long periods of time and you need to apply some outside voltage to "kick start" the generator.

shorts

yes you may need to field flash it, first check and clean the internals, take some pictures and label the wires as you disassemble the unit so you don't have to trust your memory for the reassemble, check the windings and armature with an ohm meter for continuity and shorts, and make sure the bearings are in good shape. odds are good that if it doesn't have a burned electrical smell that a qiuck cleanup and possa=ibly reflash will have it working like new.

shorts

in electrical terms it is known as a 4 wire 110/220V generator, it makes 2 sets of 110v ac electricity 180 out of phase, when you tie the neutrals together and then use the 2 110 hot legs you get 220 1 phase power.

Check around campus and find an Electrical student or book to help you out first hand.

JUSS10

thats probably what the switch is supposed to do, tie the two together maybe? i'll have to look for a book cause i got to an art school and i might know the most about electricity out of anyone haha

I'll pull the end off this weekend and give it a good look. thanks so much for the help!

JUSS10

ok, a little update on the generator. finally got a chance to run out to the barn and pull the end bell off. sure enough, with a bit of tapping it popped off. i then inspected what was left of the switch, well pretty much the internals were gone so I'm going to start with this. i think this is a standard DPDT switch that is high amperage rated. i just want to make sure i am thinking this right. the "U" shaped bit looks like an arm center pivoted on there to complete a connection between that fulcrum and the set of poles on one side or the other to complete the circuit. does that sound right? want to make sure i got that right before i wire in a new switch.

DSC_0188.jpg

shorts

looks and sounds like you are on the right track. Is their any manufacturer info on the parts of the switch that you have, to help identify/spec a replacement?

It should be wired center terminals to the generator, one set of side terminals to the 220 recepticle and the other set of terminals to seperate 110 recepticles

go to an electric supply house like graybar and have them help you find the proper replacement switch

JUSS10

its sort of wired like that. the switch selects either just 110, or both 110 and 220. I will look at the body of the switch and see if there are any markings. i would assume i need a switch with the highest amperage rating on the outputs. I may just wire it up without a switch for now just to make sure it works. thanks for all the help!

justin

JUSS10

good news! after doing a bit of hot wiring (did this before i went out and spent money on a new switch) and cleaning of the brushes i hooked it up, got it spinning then jumped it with the power drill and away the drill went in the other direction! it works! right now i am only getting 60 volts AC but i think thats because i had it hooked to my 854 which has a smaller pulley than the generator, I'd say about half the size which would make me think once i get a new pulley on the generator it should double to 120 which is right where i want it. now to build a nicer mount and hang it off the front of the big tractor. thanks for all the help!

Justin

perry

pretty sure that is a pincor generator. looks liek the one that was forsale near me . guy had it setup for a case garden tractor.

PINCOR GENERATOR PIC

JUSS10

that sure looks right to me! thanks Perry, the make is no longer a mystery!

JUSS10

now just to fine a schematic to wire up a new switch... I'm pretty sure i know how it goes, just wish i knew what amperage rating i need...

shorts

thye pictures show a 30a 120v plug so use a minimum of 30a switch and larger like a 60a if you can find one