Sign in to follow this  
twisted metal

What do I have ?

twisted metal

I recently aquired a WH tractor but the side panels have been replaced and one says 653 but I don't think that's what it is. Here's the serial# 26495 I would apreciate it if somone can tell me what I have.

Indy w h

A few pics would be nice

Welcome to the square !!

Indy

boovuc

Hi Twisted Metal.

Welcome to RedSquare! Somewhere up under the dash tower on your tractor should be a tag that will give us, (and you), your model number. Serial numbers don't give us much to go on. Again, it should be located between the shift console and the dash. You almost have to be on your knees looking up at it. It may be painted over so look closely!

Thanks,

rmaynard

:thumbs2:

Very well could be a 653. Pictures would be very helpful.

The 653, if it has it's original engine, should have a 6 HP Tecumseh H60-75009.

As boovuc said, look for the ID tag. If you found the serial number, the ID number should be there too.

mavfreak

:thumbs2:

CasualObserver

As boovuc said, look for the ID tag. If you found the serial number, the ID number should be there too.

With exception of the RJ-58 there are no model tags on round hoods. Only a serial number sticker. That low of a serial would lean me toward round hood, likely a 63. #26495 the first time around would have been a 1960 Suburban, and they started the numbering system over after they did the 62-xxxx shift decals for 1962.

:thumbs2: If you can't post a picture, a very vivid description would help.

What size and make is the engine?

Are there individual tie rods going to each wheel from the center, or are they linked together with a single flat link?

What kind of choke/throttle controls are there, what do they look like?

What does the dash look like? What color? Does it have an ammeter?

How many spokes does the steering wheel have?

Is the gas tank mounted to the engine or is it built into the dash stand?

Does the hood come all the way back or is it cut around the gas tank?

What do the foot rests look like?

Is there a battery box, and if so, is it welded in or bolted on?

Where the front axle attaches, is it flat or does it have a bend that bumps out?

All describable characteristics that can help nail down a year and model of early tractors.

Also look through the tractor picture gallery and see if you can find one that looks like what you have. --> http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showforum=29 You need to look at the models from 1961 to 1969.

twisted metal

It does favor that tractor quite a bit but mine has a K181 Kohler. Thats why I didn't think it was a 653. I will try to get some pics this weekend.

JUSS10

does it have the same front axle? 3 or 2 spoke steering wheel? it could have been a 653 repowered to essentially be a 753 with a larger kohler or if the 181 is stock, its probably an 854 then. 854 should have a 2 spoke steering wheel while the 753 would have a 3 spoke wheel like the one shown on the 653 above

Justin

twisted metal

The front axle is identical to the one in the pic and it has a 3 spoke steering wheel.

So with that being said I'd say it's a 753

JUSS10

or it is indeed a 653 that has been repowered with a kohler. if I'm not mistaken a kohler might be a direct drop in as the tecumseh motors used a mounting plate.

Justin