Sign in to follow this  
lawmatblue

need some info before buying

lawmatblue

hello I have found some one selling a c-160 with a mower deck snow blade and i guess you could call it a yard sweeper picks up the grass after you mow. the engine on the tractor from what the guy says has a spun baring. it has a few dent and dings nothing i cant fix. the over all shape of it isnt bad. hes asking $800 obo. I told him $400 and he said yes. my main question is what does it normaly cost to rebuild an engine?

pfrederi

If you do most of the work yourself parts will set you back ($100 after-market parts OEM parts $200+/-) machine shop work for boring cylinder and turning crank shaft $50-75 (depends where you live).

Have it done -- there is a wide variance in the quality of rebuilds probably 250-600 somewhat dependent on your location.

lawmatblue

ok thanks what do you think about the price?

pfrederi

What size deck and what condition is it in. Many older decks have serious rust issues or cracking near mounting points. Good 48" deck is worth at least 200.

Snow blade- 48" or 42"?? Several I have looked at owners never flipped the wear edge and wore off the bottom of the blade, also is it straight, many have been bent. A good blade is worth 100-150 (48 worth more 42 less in my opinion.)

Is it an 8 speed or automatic? I have been burned in the past buying autos with non working engines. Get the engine fixed and you discover the hydro is weak. I only buy hydros that I can test. If it is a non running hydro it is a parts tractor to me not worth that much +/- $100

lawmatblue

i think the deck is 42" it looks like it the same size as the one on my 310-8. the deck is in good condition better then the one i have now. it is a hydro he said it runs ill have to stop on my way to work and ask him if he can start it up. and i never took a close look a the blade so ill do that to. i thought about seeing if hed take less because of what i have to do to the tractor. i know he needs the money so he might take less for it. thank you for you help. i glad the are people around like you to help.

pfrederi

To really test a hydro you have to run it for awhile and get it hot. The see how it works. Does it speedup a lot going downhill or slow a lot going up hill.

lawmatblue

ok well youve got me thinking now lol. i might just buy the deck and blade from him. I already have to rebuild the engine on my 310. it uses oil like crazy.

lawmatblue

i try to get some pics and put them on here

HorseFixer

Id say yer at the Tops for $ 400.00 because of the Mtr. If that has happend (spun bearing) who knows what else can be wrong with it? :thumbs: Was the tractor beat to H*ll? :thumbs2: Ya need to build yerself a lil cushion in there for the unexpected. But if ya like the tractor and want to make the investment and spending some $$ by fixing it up and getting it in fine shape and useing it yer better off than buying the garbage they sell at the big box store for between 2k to3k :thumbs: Soooo What If ya hafta put a grand in the tractor to make it dependable and ya buy for $400 well $1400.00 is not much for a machine that is all fixed up that you can Will to your kids IMHO. No one wants to spend that much but it is what it is. And again it all depends what ya want to do with it. :thanks:

This is not the cheapest hobby if ya want a cheap hobby start collecting stamps. :D But ya cant get stamps to blow yer drive mow yer grass or do the chores these Beast can do. :banghead:

Good luck with the Tractor! :banghead: Cheers ~Duke