Sign in to follow this  
CRE1992

Do front weights help when plowing snow?

CRE1992

I recently got a set of front wheel weights for my 520H, I also made a front weight for the front attachmatic that weighs about 35lbs. I used an old attatchmatic and drilled, then bolted a 35lb steel brick to it and put it on my 520H also. I didn't have enough threaded rod, so I used a machine bolt temporarily. I saw some members had them on their tractors so I am curious :thumbs2: . Stay tuned because I am making a rear hitch bracket for my 520H and 416H because my uncle gave me 6-30lb bricks of lead, and 15-10lb flat rectangular weights off a exercise machine. :banghead:

FrontWeight.jpg

JimD

I think front wheel weights would help some, but especially if you had tri-rib ties on the front also.

can whlvr

yes weight is a big help when snow plowing,and the #40 roller chain on the fronts is a big help also,the combo make my plow rig steer and track way better

whfan74

Last wintere I used the Wheel Horse cast iron wheel weights on the front of my C-85 to do some plowing. I did notice a difference and it did help it from sliding a bit. I would have to agree with the other guys as well...........tri ribs would help and roller chain (if you don't mind scratching your driveway) would help the machine to track better once you hit a bigger pile and the plow is angled.

CRE1992

I actually have front wheel weights, but this will be the first winter I am plowing with a wheel horse. So I decided to add some more weight onto the front. So I just wondering if it really helps that much as I will be plowing with my 520H. I am in the process of trying to acquire a bervac rear weight bracket that will go on the 520H. I am putting a snow blower on my 416H, I am only putting rear wheel weights, and making a weight bracket to hold the lead bricks my uncle gave me. So I will probably have another as he gave me weight plates also and I plan on making a bracket for them also.

Coadster32

Tri-ribs themselves make a big difference. Beyond that, I adder another 90lbs under the motor on my 854, and what a huge difference. I since added another 70lbs in wheel weights. Bring it on!!

c monster

Tri-ribs themselves make a big difference. Beyond that, I adder another 90lbs under the motor on my 854, and what a huge difference. I since added another 70lbs in wheel weights. Bring it on!!

narrow tri ribs are the ticket and weight never hurts unless you get stuck, then its no good. posi is obviously twice the traction too.

wallfish

Tri ribs are expensive for 16 x 6.5 x 8 size tires.

Like Don said, #40 roller chain. They will make it drive like it's on rails in the snow for less than $20 and easy to install.

MVC-009F-1.jpg

can whlvr

i actually leave the roller on my 308,it steers really nice like power steering,i dont have ashfalt or concrete to worry about,it will tear up the grass a little if you go fast and turn

wallfish

My asphalt driveway is only a few years old but I don't really notice any scapes or problems with using the chain. I use ag tires for the rears.

CRE1992

I have a gravel driveway, so it wouldn't really do anything in my opinion, I have tri ribs on my Massey Ferguson 50, it weights in at 5700lbs and its solid cast iron for the most part, with no power steering and it steers easy, so I know about tri ribs. I just don't have the money for them so chains may be the way to go.

Thanks for the replies :thumbs2:

-Charles

zieg72

Asphalt drive, 64" plow angled, night and day difference with front wheel weights...

can whlvr

once you try the chains you will be impressed

HorseFixer

I cant speak for plowing, but on my Snow Chucker I have Ribbed Tires and they work great. :thumbs2: And yes Weight Helps especially

when steering. When the blower on my chucker is lifted it loads the front tires and steers without a problem, but when its down

without weight, it tends to push a bit. :thumbs: I haven't used the Chains and they probably work fine, I just don't want to Marr up my

garage floor anymore than I have to <_< it's bad enough with the rear chains on thats why I don't try and pull any Hole Shots! :thumbs:

As far as kind of weight? :D I'm probably gonna take a hit on this, but in my opinion the weight should be on the wheels Only,

because it transfers the weight from the rim, to the tire, and finally to the ground for traction. When On the tractor or implement

when lifted it puts

the weight on bearings axles and every other component which increases wear and breakage. :thanks: I just don't want to take

that chance. On an FEL ya don't have much of a choice I guess :banghead: but I would be cking the rear end much more frequently

for any wear and be using the best lubricant I could get. And for me?..... Well using the correct lube is not a problem. :banghead:

~Duke

CRE1992

As far as kind of weight? :banghead: I'm probably gonna take a hit on this, but in my opinion the weight should be on the wheels Only,

because it transfers the weight from the rim, to the tire, and finally to the ground for traction. When On the tractor or implement

when lifted it puts

the weight on bearings axles and every other component which increases wear and breakage. :D I just don't want to take

that chance. On an FEL ya don't have much of a choice I guess :banghead: but I would be checking the rear end much more frequently for any wear and be using the best lubricant I could get.

~Duke

Well Duke thanks for the in depth analysis, I don't think I'll have to worry about the front end, as I keep it greased regularly, and plus its on my 1995 520H with the heavy duty front end :thumbs2:. I think 35lbs, would do less harm than the 60" 300lb+ behemoth that I have on it to mow with :thumbs:

Thanks again,

-Charles

C-85

Here's how I solved This problem on my C-85 and this works!

C-85

:thumbs2:

Attached Image

post-3-1316023211.jpg

CRE1992

Snowblower front tires, and what kind of wheel weights are those?

HorseFixer
As far as kind of weight?

C-85

Hi All,

To answer CRE1992's ? question about where I got my wheel weights. Let's just say they were yellow, but I fixed that and customized them!

Here's a picture of the dozer! (if this work's I'm still new at this)

C-85

050.jpg

Tim

I actually had weight on the front that I took off. If I was plowing and pushing snow up a bank and the snow rolled over the plow, with any extra weight in front i could not back up. I took the weight off and then i could back the front tires over the snow that went over the plow. it does steer better with weight, there is a trade off