Sign in to follow this  
dhuberinc

HOW DO I KILL IT?...

dhuberinc

I want to put a kill switch on my 1960 550. It has the tech engine & want to know what the proper wire coming out of the engine is to use for that. There are 3 wires coming from under the flywheel that go to the little circuit board thing on the sheet metal. The starter button is wired straight across to the solenoid and not through the circuit board. I can start it but can't shut it off without choking it out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

jpmcleod

There has to be a "hot wire" from the battery to the ignition switch providing power with the key in the "on" position. I would splice into that wire and insert the kill switch stopping the engine and then turn the key into the off position. I remember many years ago using a screw drive to ground the plug wire to kill the engine.

My question is why is the key in the off position not stopping the engine.

TT

Remember this topic you started last fall?:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=22321

The wiring diagram in that topic shows the location of the grounding terminal located on the diode board. If the single small wire coming from the ignition coil/points/condenser is correctly attached to that terminal, all you need to do to stop the engine is ground that terminal.

DO NOT apply battery power to that terminal or the ignition coil will burn up.

wheelhorse656

there should be a termanal on your diod board that says mag attach your kill wire to that and run it to a swich that grounds the mag out. thats the wat they are supposed to be set up.

dhuberinc

yeah TT, i remember asking a few questions about my Suburban electronics a while back, i gave up on the old tillotson carb i had on this thing and the new throttle control bracket i used for the new carb has a kill swich integrated into it, i just wasn't sure what wire to use to kill it.. ..THANKS a MILLION men!