Sign in to follow this  
Fletch

Wheel Horse GT 1600

Fletch

Hi, i'm new to the forum. Can anyone tell me if I would have any issues swapping a Koehler 10 hp from a C 105 in place of the B&S on a GT 1600 ? Thanks for the help ! Oh yeah, I have a 1971 B 100 and a 1984 312-8 plus a C105 for parts.

jay in nc

:thumbs2:

can whlvr

:thumbs2: im not totally sure on everything about the swap but you will need to use the wiring harness from the kohler,as long as the kohler is from a wheelhorse it will bolt direct on and the pto will line up,not sure what crank size tha briggs had,if its 1 1/8 then thats the same as the kohler,other people with more knowledge should chime in,probally the key switch will be needed from the kohler setup,are you using the 105 for parts,if so you will be able to get every thing you need off that machine,provided it is there in the first place

sgtsampay

Welcome. the Briggs on the Gt100 had a 1in shaft. So the collar, the loop9I think there where two kinds, right), and the drive pulley will have to be replaced with a 1 1.8th for the Kohler. the rest of the PTO parts will work.

The Wireing is indeed different as can Whlvr said and the Briggs used a motor mounting plate while the Kohler I believe mounted direct to the frame.

It can be done no problem but it may take a little effort.

Whats wrong with the old Briggs? Or you replaceing the Briggs for fun or..

Fletch

Thanks for the feedback. The engine is bad on the GT 1600 and i'm looking for a "worker" so I can keep the other machines in nice shape. With the C 105 already half dismantled I thought this would be a good set up.

sgtsampay

Yes it should fine if you are looking for a worker. Whats wrong with the bad Briggs. They are very easy to get parts for and not very hard at all for rebuilding if you want to go that route. the reason why I say that, is if you would like the extra power for snowblowing and mowing.

Now, if you have any questions, your at the best place to get help. :thumbs2:

Fletch

Hi everyone and thanks to all those who gave me advice on this swap. Tell me again why I thought this was a good idea lol! Anyhow the swap is done short of the choke cable that I am waiting for. I learned some things and would like to pass them along. I used a C 105 for parts which used the rubber isolated engine mount. I needed to use this as the bottom of the loop for the PTO is part of this. That mount moves the engine back just enough to cause you to have to use the drive belt and guard from the parts tractor. I changed the guard on the opposite to match lol. The seat safety switch was a normally closed switch from the Briggs safety set up so I needed to change it and the PTO safety switch as well. The throttle and choke cables were too short from the Briggs engine. Probably the oddest part of the swap was that after I was done it wouldnt charge. I traced this to the ignition switch, they looked the same but after I swapped them it began to charge ! I mowed with it after the swap was done and the 10 HP had no problem with a 48'' deck in the high grass. I couldn't be happier with it and the two tone paint job doesnt look bad either ! Thanks again for the help!