Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Part Number Confirmation / Question

71_Bronco

I am looking to replace the outer seals on my Hydro unit for my Bronco 14. I found the part number "6449", Axle Seal, 1 1/8" I.D.

If somebody can just double check that, it would be very helpful. This was the first time I looked up a part number, and actually had to use the model number for a 72 Bronco, as the 71 had no listings for parts break-downs.

Also, I have been reading up on how to replace these seals, and it looks pretty straight forward. Remove hubs & Keys, & pick out the old seal. I read about the tape trick to avoid cutting the seals on the key-ways, and a little grease / oil on the shaft to make it slide easier.

Anything else I'm missing? I want to replace what I can on the unit without cracking it open, as it is working fine and no issues.

Thanks

WH854

I am looking to replace the outer seals on my Hydro unit for my Bronco 14. I found the part number "6449", Axle Seal, 1 1/8" I.D.

If somebody can just double check that, it would be very helpful. This was the first time I looked up a part number, and actually had to use the model number for a 72 Bronco, as the 71 had no listings for parts break-downs.

Also, I have been reading up on how to replace these seals, and it looks pretty straight forward. Remove hubs & Keys, & pick out the old seal. I read about the tape trick to avoid cutting the seals on the key-ways, and a little grease / oil on the shaft to make it slide easier.

Anything else I'm missing? I want to replace what I can on the unit without cracking it open, as it is working fine and no issues.

Thanks

Ditto on that P/N 6449 :thumbs2: PS put a little anti-seize on your hub when you put it back on the axle.

Chas

rmaynard

1971 & 1972 Bronco 14 have the same transaxle, and use the #6449. That number crosses over to an SKF 11124 if you want to get it from an auto parts store like NAPA.