fdsinozich

make it a mulcher?

fdsinozich

I installed Gator blades on my 42" deck and fabricated a cover for the discharge chute. Is there a way to change the size of the pulleys to spin the blades faster? If so, do you have any part numbers?

Thanks,

Frank

MikesRJ

Installing Gator blades and covering the chute alone does not make a deck a mulching deck. In order to get a deck to truly mulch the grass clippings must stay in the spinning blade region for several revolutions. Wheel Horse manufactured an insert for that purpose. Note the enclosed circular rims and baffles installed in the WH mulcher insert shown below. They insure the grass is kept in the blade proximity for an adequate amount of time, then deposits the clippings straight downward when the mulching is complete.

MulchingKit.jpg

(SIDE NOTE: Thanks for the picture Karl {NYLyon})

Let me guess, you installed the blades and cover yet you have large clippings trailing behind you as you cut? I suspect you are thinking that spinning the blades faster will help it mulch better? It won't happen that way and you'll be wasting your time and effort. Seek a mulching insert and leave the rotation speed theory behind. Increasing the deck rotation speed is very dangerous, and will certainly lead to premature spindle bearing failure at the very least.

squonk

Installing Gator blades and covering the chute alone does not make a deck a mulching deck. In order to get a deck to truly mulch the grass clippings must stay in the spinning blade region for several revolutions. Wheel Horse manufactured an insert for that purpose. Note the enclosed circular rims and baffles installed in the WH mulcher insert shown below. They insure the grass is kept in the blade proximity for an adequate amount of time, then deposits the clippings straight downward when the mulching is complete.

MulchingKit.jpg

(SIDE NOTE: Thanks for the picture Karl {NYLyon})

Let me guess, you installed the blades and cover yet you have large clippings trailing behind you as you cut? I suspect you are thinking that spinning the blades faster will help it mulch better? It won't happen that way and you'll be wasting your time and effort. Seek a mulching insert and leave the rotation speed theory behind. Increasing the deck rotation speed is very dangerous, and will certainly lead to premature spindle bearing failure at the very least.

I've got one of those inserts but have yet to install it. How well do they work? Are they worth the effort? Leaf season is coming quick. I already have a Brinly sweeper that works quite well. :thumbs2:

MikesRJ

Obviously the better the condition of the blades and their sharpness makes a lot of difference, but my experience is that it works quite well with a good set of blades.

can whlvr

i doubt there would be room for bigger pullies and it could get dangerous as those components were designed to spin onle so fast,if you look at the clearance of the belt to the main pully,not much room left over

fdsinozich

Thanks for all the good info, I was not aware of the insert.

Any ideas where to look for one?

Thanks

mr.pipes

There is a nice 42" for $500 on that auction site right now but you can see that the baffles were recently removed.

Are these still available?

How about the complete insert?

mr.pipes

It looks like parts tree has them. I guess I'll stick with the power-flo bagger and fertilizer.

http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_co...9-6_889001-0001

Baffles or Kickers are $13.82 X 9 = $124.38

Main Baffle $531.08

Blades $64.99

$720.45 Plus hardware and decals :thumbs2:

squonk

I'll sell mine. $720.00 Free shipping! :banghead::thumbs2: :banghead:

jay in nc

i have one of those mulching inserts. it is in verv good condition but heavy. i removed it from a 42 rear discharge deck. ill take $100 local pick up selma nc. jay holt

dgoyette

But you can buy the Kit for around $250...kit number 86001

MikesRJ

Empart has it for $219 plus shipping.

mr.pipes

$191.40 at M&D.

I just looked at Partstree initially.

From my experiences they seem to be right around my dealers prices.

dgoyette

$191.40 at M&D.

I just looked at Partstree initially.

From my experiences they seem to be right around my dealers prices.

Wow that's a bargain! Looks like the $191 is reflective of an additional 5% discount off the regular $201 (which is still a great price).

312Hydro

Who is M&D? I'm not familiar with them or Empart. But it seems like I should be for those prices :thumbs2:

squonk

I noticed in the Parts tree breakdown of the insert that the blades were a different Part # than the correct ones for the deck. Does the insert need different blades?

MikesRJ

Yes, the mulcher blades have a different design to improve airflow so that the grass clipping are directed into the blade path multiple times before dropping down to the ground. The mulcher shell can be used with regular (correct for the model) blades, but the mulching action is significantly reduced.

Take a look at any set of Gator blades. They have a very drastic designed trailing edge which "stirs up" the clippings and forces them into the blade path much better than manu other models. Also, the gator blades are significantly thicker steel than most OEM blades making them less likely to slow down when going through thicker (higher) grass, at the sacrifice that they take longer to spin-up as well.

BBM-GATOR-BLADES-2T.jpg

fdsinozich

Again, more great info.

Thanks,

Frank in SW Virginia

ScottCT

Hello all,

I was searching for mulching options for my 42 RD deck when I stumbled upon this. I realize it’s been 2 years since the last post but I hope one of you can help. I’m interested in purchasing one of the mulching inserts but wasn’t sure if you can ad it to any 42 RD or if it only fit certain ones. I have a 95-42MR02. Thanks for any help.

Edited by ScottCT

gwest_ca

The 86001 will fit the 1986-1988 05-42MR04 deck but not listed for anything older.

The 95-42MR02 is a 1979 deck.

The kit may fit with modifications - don't know. It could be impossible or may require a few holes drilled.

Garry

ScottCT

I removed the deck today to refresh my memory as to how the deck is configured. It has welded in factory baffles so it look like it would take heavy modification to make the insert work but I think I might be able to fab something up based on the picture poster above.

post-11770-0-80534500-1382313793_thumb.j

cod

I took my recycler baffle out when I bought my tractor as the smaller v-shaped baffles were tissue thin and I may try and restore it down the road so thanks for the info about where to find them.  Those of you who have one do they work well on leaves or are they strictly for grass?