Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Project Bronco 14 Update

71_Bronco

So I thought I would fill you guys in with the latest on Project Bronco 14.

Finally got it all torn down and diss-assembled. It is safe to say that phase 1 is done, diss-assembly.

IMG_3145.jpg

In the pic, you can see the fully srtipped frame, the upright assembly (which is staying as is due to the Hydro controls), and in the back you can see the motor mounted to a mini pallet for easier working, and behind that is a big pile of parts.

The only serious issue I came across was when I was taking off the upright / dash section from the frame, as you can see in the pictures below.

IMG_3139.jpg

IMG_3140.jpg

IMG_3141.jpg

IMG_3142.jpg

As you can see, a little repair is in need. The upright was still very solidly mounted to the frame, even with the side piece broken off. Welding that part back together will be a little tricky since on one side is the linkage for the brake pedal, and the other side is butted up to the frame, so I am going to either have to make some small welds, or grind them down after its welded together. Shouldn't be too difficult, as I have all the tools needed.

And finally, my question for today, is: What the hell is this thing??? It is mounted on the inside of the dash upright, and just above the lift linkages. I took a picture of it, and I am more curious as to what it is. It is not bad as far as I know, as the tractor ran fine, and all electrical stuff worked fine prior to diss-assembly.

IMG_3138.jpg

As always, thanks for the help and motivation to get this thing done. It is a little frustrating at times, trying to figure out how things come off and what to do, but I am working through it, slowly but surely.

Now comes the fun part, cleaning and prepping for paint :thumbs2:

MikesRJ

It's the DC voltage regulator (voltage rectifier). In your case the AC is supplied by the engine's stator and fed to the rectifier, DC is output from the rectifier and supplied to the key switch where it is further distributed (based on key position) to the ignition system, battery charging, and accessories power.

Wiring-Bronco14.png

COMMANDO6

It's weird that the rectifier doesn't look like it matches. The original may have blown up so the PO may have replaced it with a different one out of a hardware store.

rmaynard

Wheel Horse had several different rectifiers. B-100's have the same one. The bolt pattern for mounting is the same width, but the body is smaller. The area that is rusty is where it was left unpainted to make the ground connection.

48fc1cc5-1.jpg

kpinnc

Pretty common for all the older hydraulic lift-equipped tractors to break the tower there. My Bronco was broken in the same spot.

71_Bronco

Well, if the one I have IS in fact a replacement, then the P.O. didn't skimp and buy generic. Cast into the main body, I think on one of the ears, it had the Kohler logo cast right into it.

I was thinking of a way to beef it up, the tower section, but not sure how yet.