Sign in to follow this  
toccoa1

310-8 starter and carb?

toccoa1

I have an awful grinding noise sometimes when I try to start my 310-8 tractor. I assume it is the starter but could it be caused by anything else? I have not removed it yet, I am still working on the problem of no gas getting to the carb. first. :thumbs2: Is there an easy way to check the fuel pump? :banghead:

Looks like a good winter project

Thanks

Jim

stevasaurus

I have to do a little checking...I am not familiar with a 310-8, but if you have a tube between the carb and the fuel pump...disconnect it and while cranking...you should get spurts of gas. If so, it is after...if not it is before. the fuel pump.

BTW :thumbs2:

toccoa1

Does not seem to be getting gas to the fuel pump Can these be taken off and cleaned? :thumbs2:

Jim

stevasaurus

yes...a little carb cleaner and blowing through it may do the trick. Know you have a 10 hsp, but , I'm sorry, is it a Kohler? I know more about those. The Kohlers have check balls in some of their fuel pumps that can get stuck after sitting for some time. One check ball lets in the fuel and not out...and the other one lets the fuel out toward the carb and does not let it come back. I would bet that most engines work on the same principle. My problem is that you are way to new of a horse for my expertise.

Check your pet cock on the fuel tank to see if it is working and flowing like it should. Start from the beginning. I recently found a white spider stuck in the petcock of a C-121...was clogging the gas so much...would not run with out the choke being all the way out. How weird is that?? :banghead: Not hard to do...just start from the tank and work toward the carb. Pinched hose, filter, petcock...hope that helps. :thumbs2:

toccoa1

Yes it is a kohler. gas is coming from the gas tank I will try the carb cleaner with out taking it off first. It had set for awhile I believe

Jim

toccoa1

:thumbs2: Carb cleaner worked! TO BAD IT WILL KEEP THE MOSQUITOES AWAY with the smoke! Only 337 on the meter maybe it will get better :banghead:

Now To work on the Starter!

Jim

rmaynard

Loosen the bolts that hold the starter on, and change the alignment of the starter to the gear ring on the flywheel. That may reduce the noise.

toccoa1

It only does it intermittently like after a few seconds of cranking Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't :thumbs2: I will give it a try tomorrow.

TT

What year is the tractor? (does it have a K241 or an M10 Magnum engine?)

toccoa1

It is the M10

WH854

I had one that made a grinding noise!!! It was the frunt bearing going bad, the bearings aren't ball bearing type. :thumbs2:

truckin88

I had a C-175 that did that, the starter needed to be lubed and it needed a new battery.