Sign in to follow this  
bigd22

Which Wheel horse for plowing

bigd22

I have been looking for a used wheel horse that would be great for plowing. Right now I am looking at a 414-8 or 518 H. I can get them for a decent price. I am concerned that the 518 has the weaker transmission but I can get it cheaper. Trying to spend less than 500 total for a package. Would these tractors be good for plowing snow? Any other options? Thanks for all your help.

CRE1992

I would chose the 414-8, it has kohler magnum vs the onan, parts are much easier to find and cheaper. I own a 414-8 and I am impressed with the power it puts out. It should be more than enough to plow with. Also it has a heavy duty rear end with thicker axles compared to a 3 series. Also the 518H has an eaton 7, which is not the best hydro.

I have a 414-8, 416H, and a 520H, I am planning on using the 416H for either snow plowing or if I find a single stage snow blower because the 520H is mint, and the 414-8 needs some work but doesn't have hydraulic lift. Unless you have the euro version of the 518H you wont either...

Just my opinions...

Charles

Either way goodluck :thumbs2:

rexman72

:thumbs2:

CRE1992

I forgot to add :banghead: :thumbs2:

fourwheels0

i have a 414-8 and so far i've only pushed dirt,tree limbs ect but it has great power and i think with a good set of chains and wheel weights it will push snow very well.

boovuc

To choose between the two mentioned............I would also go with the 414. Better motor, stronger tranny. Either will push snow well. If you had both to use side by side, both would do a nice job. IMHO... I just think the 414 will last longer and if repairs are needed, it would be simpler and cheaper. If you were blowing snow, I would go with the hydro. I'm not certain if the 518H has gear-reduction steering like the 520H's. With a plow or snowblower on the front, it greatly helps steering. It would be one other thing to think about between the two. I still have some arm strength so the 414-8 still comes out on top.

This is if both tractors are equal or close in hours and both were not ridden hard and put away wet for a decade. :thumbs2:

Good Luck

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

HorseFixer

:D :banghead: I too would choose the 414 can't go wrong with a Kohler! :thumbs2:

Cheers ~Duke

:banghead:

bigd22

Wow. What a great response! Thanks! I also have a C-175 in my sights but is above by buget but it looks pretty nice. I see this turning into an obsession. But oh well. Many thanks for your wisdom and willingness to help!

IthacaJeff

Take the 414-8 hands down. The manual trannies are bulletproof, the magnums

may be Kohler's best (though I don't have a 14M). My 310-8 plows great, as will

your 414. Get good chains and you'll be unstoppable.

Jeff in Enfield NY

kpinnc

I have to agree with the previous posts. The 414-8 will be the better machine for plowing. The Eaton 7 (although it can be changed to an 11 with a few extra parts) is connected to the same transaxle as the heavier hydos, but because it is the lighter-duty pump- it won't take that punishment for long.

Wheel Horse, at the time of the 518-H introduction said the tractor was NOT designed for use with ground-engaging attachments. I guess it made for a pretty strong mower, but not much else.

shorts

can whlvr

i too would go with the 414,ive got 2 of them and they are a nice machine and reliable