Sign in to follow this  
tbbahner

Unusual project

tbbahner

I found this thing sitting in front of my shop a while back. Its a 1963 Heckendorn 36J63 mower. Back in the '60's, I guess grounds keepers loved these things. This is a 36" but they made them up to 88" - called them "bat wings" as the side decks lifted up. They were made in Cedar Point, Ks. and are still around.

A guy dropped it off and asked if I could get it running. Some of his family had used them for years so he thought he needed one.

He had it at a shop and of course they would have charged him enough to buy a new ZTR to get it going. Just to give you an idea on condition, he had to cut down a 4" tree to get is out of its resting place.

Anyway, its about to be returned in running condition. A few more parts and it'll be done. Since I had a lot of it broke down, I shot a quickie paint job on it. As you can tell, didn't spend much time on it, but it'll protect it for a while.

Tom B

DSC02682.jpg

DSC02703.jpg

Horse'n Around

Thats really cool! You did a really nice job on it!

bowtieguy

WOW...has that KS heat got to ya or too many Buds?...didn't think you would tackle anying else since tearing into that GT-14......but I kinda like it...maybe we need to tade a WH for one?.......naw :thumbs2:

tbbahner

Thanks Horse"n.

You know Frank, this heat is definitely scramblin my brains. After the GT, this thing is a breeze to work on! I thought WH was heavy but this thing is HEAVY!! They put some serious steel on these things. Too bad they killed a few people in roll-overs, they're a h--- of a machine. Good on flat ground but not on slopes.

Tom B