Sign in to follow this  
MaineDad

Oil Control Rings

MaineDad

OK - so I am questioning my installation of the 3 piece oil control rings in the bottom groove. I installed the expander ring first then the two thin rings, one on top of the expander and one below the expander. Like a sandwich. Is that right? Looking at the picture I borrowed from Bob from another thread, I am now questioning if mine are installed correctly.

PistonRings.jpg

Thanks -

TT

Check your messages. :thumbs2:

VinsRJ

Check your messages. :banghead:

TT, is this a top secret install, you can't tell the public? :thumbs2:

TT

TT, is this a top secret install, you can't tell the public? :banghead:

I had him call me 'cause I really didn't feel like typing that much. :thumbs2: :banghead:

rmaynard

For further clarification to MaineDad and others, the drawing which I had posted some time ago, was a copy of the sheet included with my rings. The red highlights were done in reference to another problem.

The oil control rings which you were questioning (bottom of picture) were shown with the two thin rings on top and the expander on the bottom. That is NOT the way that they are to be installed. The picture below is now correct.

I installed the bottom thin ring first, then the expander, then the top thin ring. That is how the manufacturer described the installation procedure.

13db7db4.jpg