Sign in to follow this  
zieg72

C-195 pros and cons...

zieg72

I am considering the purchase of a low hour C-195 and want to know the pros and cons of that particular machine. Those of you that have them please comment. One question I have is can the 520H forward swept axle and gear reduction steering be put on a C-195? Can a Hydro foot control 8-3900 be made to work on it? I am looking now that I have sold my 269H. What is the ground speed? Having a 20HP Onan and a 520H will I be happy with the performance of the Kohler???I'll sit back and read the comments. Thanks in advance to anyone who shares their thoughts...

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Carl I can't answer the Part Swap thing, :banghead: and I have never owned one but I can tell you this.... After seening Buckrancher's C-195 that is one hell of a big tractor! :banghead: Its probably the biggest tractor short of the D-250. That would be one that I would like to have and I would think that the parts would swap and I can see the advantage if a FEL was going to be put on it. :thumbs2:

~Duke

• Like 1

fireman

First you won't need the forward swept front end from the 520 because the frame of the 195 is longer and it fits a 60" deck without modification. The c-195s attachment's are somewhat specific to it. As far as I'm concerned, I'll take a Kohler over an Onan any day. When Onans run good there good. When they run bad, there a P.I.T.A!! There are some that have the foot control on it. I have one of Doc's repro 8-3900 but have yet to install it. Unless the C-195 your looking at comes with attachments, you may have trouble finding them!

Just my $.02

mavfreak

I think I ve seen stated on RS in other posts about the C195 that some of the atacthments work off the "D" seres line. :thumbs2:

I myself would love to come across a C195

marvairplanes

Zieg 72

PM sent....

Marv

refracman

Yup the foot control will work on a C195, I put one on one of my 84s.

Kelly

Ok mine is old and tired (195), but ground speed is about the same as my 520's, I put a forward swept axle in one, you have to use a couple spacers the 195 axle is thicker, the gear reduction steering will bolt in but the lower steering shaft will have to be cut and made longer, the 195 has a longer frame, I love my Onans but they are picky, my KT19 uses oil, but runs like a top, power wise I'd say they are close, never used both machines for the same thing to get a true feeling for the power between them.

zieg72

Keep em coming guys... My thought process is #1 refracmans 382 hour machine that is offered for sale as an additional tractor to share some duties with my current 520H. I need it to steer easily because of shoulder problems, not that I can't do it, just that I hurt for 2 days after I wrestle a regular machine, be it my previous 269H or my 417-8 I used last winter to plow. I am thinking because the C-195 is bigger, I assume heavier thus a better plowing machine. Sounds like the 520H forward swept plow still may not be long enough??.

#2 is to find another 520H 92 or newer to share duties, perhaps another unfortunate bad Onan bought for a song and either do another K341 swap, bite the bullet on a replacement 24hp Honda engine made for it, or go diesel...

#3 zero turn but even a used one is kinda pricey for a decent commercial unit.

#4 venture into other brands that offer power steering, I really like my Dads Ford Diesel, fast ground speed and sips the fuel.

Thanks again...

New-To-Red with C-195

My first WH is a C-195. Pretty awesome machine with the hydraulic 3-point lift and the 15" rear wheels. Only downside I have found is that the attachments are not the typcial C-series attachments. I believe several of the D-series and GT series are interchangeable but be sure to check each one specifically. I've made a C-series snow plow fit on mine but I'd like to find the 56" plow for the C-195.

Good luck!

• Like 1

fireman

Carl,

To make it easier to steer, Follow these directions copied from another forum:

Here are my pictures of my bearing upgrade.

Remove the stock plastic bushing (pictured top) from your front spindles, and replace it with a Timken thrust needle bearing, and sandwich it between two thrust washers once its greased.

8316_1274168056765_1306843886_30815111_2559674_n.jpg

Spindle removed, and the stock plastic bushing pried loose.

8316_1274168096766_1306843886_30815112_2657835_n.jpg

Spindle cleaned up from any big chunks of old grease.

8316_1274168136767_1306843886_30815113_1135613_n.jpg

Packed the new needle bearing with grease, and installed it with the thrust washers.

8316_1274168176768_1306843886_30815114_7330792_n.jpg

Reinstalled the spindle, put back on the snap ring, and gave the entire spindle housing a fresh new squirt of grease. It is for sure a noticeable difference, but nothing like if there was true power steering on it.

8316_1274168216769_1306843886_30815115_1087003_n.jpg

I had this on my D-200 w/loader and it was great. Made it simple to steer with one hand. Should really help with your bad shoulder.

rockbuilt

I have a C-195 and my neighbor has a 520H IMO they are both great The C-195 I believe to be a better plow tractor because of size and 15 inch wheels I put a 56" plow off a D-200 fits right on :banghead:

mine needs fine tuning but still makes short work of big heavy snow. I'll be semi retiring it this yeas because I got a 59" plow and a 48" snow blower for my D-250

:thumbs2:

The 60" deck works great with no strain on the tractor but I don't know how the 60" deck on the 520H is, my neighbor has a 48" as far as steering I know with heavy tractors it is important to keep front tires well inflated and don't use aggressive treads.

My D250 has smooth groove tires and they work great

• Like 1

buckrancher

Carl,

To make it easier to steer, Follow these directions copied from another forum:

Here are my pictures of my bearing upgrade.

Remove the stock plastic bushing (pictured top) from your front spindles, and replace it with a Timken thrust needle bearing, and sandwich it between two thrust washers once its greased.

8316_1274168056765_1306843886_30815111_2559674_n.jpg

Spindle removed, and the stock plastic bushing pried loose.

8316_1274168096766_1306843886_30815112_2657835_n.jpg

Spindle cleaned up from any big chunks of old grease.

8316_1274168136767_1306843886_30815113_1135613_n.jpg

Packed the new needle bearing with grease, and installed it with the thrust washers.

8316_1274168176768_1306843886_30815114_7330792_n.jpg

Reinstalled the spindle, put back on the snap ring, and gave the entire spindle housing a fresh new squirt of grease. It is for sure a noticeable difference, but nothing like if there was true power steering on it.

8316_1274168216769_1306843886_30815115_1087003_n.jpg

I had this on my D-200 w/loader and it was great. Made it simple to steer with one hand. Should really help with your bad shoulder.

I dunno :thumbs2: Jeff unlike those green machines my C-195 had factory installed needle trust bearings on the spindles :banghead:

Brian

fireman

Brian,

You know I never bothered to even look at my 195 to see if had them. Don't have the amount of time you do to put into my tractors lately and haven't touched the C-195 since I bought it. Carl, there's another pro for you. It should have these bearings already in place.

stevebo

I have both the 520HC and C195. I love both but have not used the 195 as a worker yet. I am restoring the deck but my only knock on the 195 is that it has a much higher center of gravity than my 520. They both really have a great sound but different. IMO if you are looking for a worker I would stick with a 520 since parts are much easier to find and the 195 is more of a collector machine :thumbs2:

refracman

The C195 does have thrust bearings on the spindles.

The C195 steers fairly easy, not as easy as the 520 with easy steer, but not bad. I have a loader on both a C195 and GT14. When loaded its not near as bad as my GT14.

I have been considering installing a easy steer or power steering on the C195 w/FEL, got the parts to do either but not the time.

As for speed it seems the my 82s are faster than the 84s, could be just my mind messing with me. The manuals say 6.3mph for the C195 and the 520H 6.4mph.

Now I gotta get the 520 out and race a 195 :thumbs2:

As for mowing I like the C195 deck better for cutting, on good flat ground you can mow at full speed at not miss a beat. WH used a Areins deck on the C195 which in my opinion has a nicer cut.

You can install a 48 deck on the 195 you just need to modify the hanger some, one of mine came with one.

As for a snow plow only the 520 with the swept front axel need the longer plow frame, which in theory should make it as long as a 195 so the two should swap. I'll have to look into it.

Operator

Carl, On my 84 C-195 when I got him here last winter I put the single stage on to try it, It was a bear to steer!! I took it off. I was thinking of thrust washer bearings but now I see there is suppose to be some in there already :thumbs2: .

So anyway I acquired a reduction steering system out of a 520 that will be going in. I want to put on my two stage and the rotary broom so I want easy steering. Besides that single stage looked tiny on the big tractor. I have a rear 60" I use on him and it gets light in the front, also have the big tiller. They all work great on the C. I have a 54" blade from my D-200 but haven't tried that yet, I'd have to pull the rear PTO drive system off to make that fit to the rear hitch. That C-195 runs great with that Kohler, it sounds like a Harley! I also have the 60" mid mount mower but I have that on my 520H right now. I wouldn't think of selling my C, along with my 520's they are a great team :banghead:

I send e-mails to the PO of the C telling him how much I appreciate our dealing!!!

Shuboxlover

#4 venture into other brands

:thumbs2::banghead::banghead:

:D :thumbs:

jaydeer

C195 is a great tractor and has significantly less wiring troubles than the 520 series, less charging issues, etc. Not quite as smooth to ride as the 520

Operator

:thumbs::thumbs:

Add another :D Carl how could you?

zieg72

Let us forget I mentioned option #4 :thumbs2:

fireman

:D:thanks:

Don't knock them (Other Brands) till you try them. My JD 317 with a Kohler 17hp on it drives better than any :ROTF: I have ever driven. That includes the 300, 400, 500 and D series. Now I still am a :USA: fan but I don't let pride get in the way of function. With the 4-way hydraulic plow on the 317 I can't wait for it to snow!

JD317B.jpg

At least some of the other brands have things like real power steering, and auxiliary hydraulic ports to run attachments.

Again just my $.02

P.S.Let the flaming begin :thumbs: :thumbs:

• Like 1

SousaKerry

yeah but all that weight still hangs on the front axle not on the back where it belongs :banghead: :thumbs2:

fireman

At least John Deere is still in business :thumbs2:

Brrly1

OUCH!!! That one hurt!!! MODS this is a Wheel Horse forum. Statements like that need to be BANNED :banghead:

:banghead:

:thumbs2:

fireman

Carl,

All kidding aside. The bottom line is they only made 501 of the 1982/1983 model# 01-19KE01 and 155 of the 1984 model 01-19KE02. That is going to make finding attachments, parts etc hard to find. I do have a plow for mine but it really is just a collector piece and for cruising shows. If you are planning to use this as a worker I would keep this in mind. Attachments do come up for sale periodically but usually command a high price. If you have a bad shoulder and steering is a concern, than you need to do whats right for you and find a tractor that will suit your need.

Jeff