Sign in to follow this  
New-To-Red with C-195

Why would Kohler 19Hp lose power

New-To-Red with C-195

I'm trying to figure out why my C-195 boggs down so badly when mowing. It has 60" mowing deck and runs really well but when I begin mowing it immediately boggs down. At first I thought because grass too tall but it does it on shorter grass as well. Is this typical with the 60" deck and only 19Hp or am I looking at some necessary repairs? I'm thinking about starting with carb rebuild, new plugs and plug wires. Input?

CRE1992

Sounds like governor problems to me... When the engine loses power because a load is slowing it down, the governor adds more fuel to try and keep it at the rpm it was previously running at before it encounters a load. However I have also heard problems with the valves could possibly do this.

Goodluck on fixing it :thumbs2:

jaydeer

THe engine can run the 60 inch deck with no problems through normal grass so you do have some issue. Could be the governor, make sure the belt isn't too tight, make sure the deck turns freely, could be the carb, and check the PTO out. Also check your engine mounting bolts, as I had one tractor that when you engaged the PTO the engine actually moved which put a bind on the PTO which slowed the engine down. The valves could be the problem also. Are you sure both cylinders are firing? With the twin cylinders they will run on one cylinder and you may not notice that one is not working until you put it under load. Pull the plug wires one at a time and see if the engine still runs. Just some thoughts.

chesbaycruiser

I'm not expert about this, but I know that seems to be the typical symptom when a 520's Onan twin has low compression in the rear cylinder? Have you tried a compression test?

Good luck,

CB

6wheeler

Interesting, Last weekend I was mowing with the 520 I just got. I put my 48" deck on it and it did fine all day. Then suddenly it bogged down when mowing(after a 15 minute beer break :banghead: ) and I thought its acting like a 10hp trying to pull too big of a load.(cuz I'm a genius that way) And lo and behold, the rear cylinder was cold to the touch. I checked the rear wire with the multi-meter and no continuity. Well, what could I do? So I stole the coil wire off of the 165 and bingo.... We got fire :thumbs2:. If something change in 5 minutes like that, its probably something simple... Good Luck Pat

New-To-Red with C-195

Hey all, thanks for the replies. Each cylinder has 105psi and both plugs are firing. I replaced the plugs and it seems to be a little better but not where it should be. I'm not familiar with troubleshooting the governor but I guess this is my chance!

I'll probably start with cleaning/rebuilding the carb and then move to the governor so any insightful tips on the governor would be appreciated.

kadetklapp

I'm in the same boat with my GT-1800 twin Briggs. It has very little power under load. I don't know if I have a dead cylinder, a valve problem, or a deck/pto problem. Of course it *could* be a fuel issue but I don't think so.

fishejoh

I'm having the same problems with my c-105, thought it was the deck but replaced all bearings and new spindle shafts, then new bearings in the PTO but didn't gain anything there either. :thumbs2:

bigd

clean carbs and or make adjustments on the ones you can.if your engines have good compression and good spark it has to be a fuel issue assuming you've checked your decks and pto out