Sign in to follow this  
Simon Smith

Ayliffe-Wheelhorse Dual Drive

Simon Smith

Just thought you might like to see the Wheelhorse dual drive we buillt a few years ago. We couldn't afford a Doe triple D so we built our own.

Dual-Drive07-10-061.jpg

27thAugust0704.jpg

312Hydro

That's an interesting tractor. I have to admit that I was puzzled at first as to the use of it. :D It all became clear when I read the Wiki article here DDD. :banghead: What does the "turntable " look like and is the tractor easy to control? Great tractor,BTW. I'll bet it's got a lot of power. Did you make any implements for it? :thumbs2: Oh, :thumbs:

Here is one members' answer to the articulated Wheel Horse U.S. style.whlpny His tractors look like Wheel Horse made them in South Bend,Ind :banghead: .

Anglo Traction

Hi Simon, So pleased you posted the pics on here. Great imaginative build! :thumbs2: , I was hoping to see it at Lingfield this year but failed to make it. That looks like Tim next to you in the Photo.

I Will need a few more parts soon, so I'll stop by.

Also a belated :banghead::banghead:

Regards,

neil

Great looking bit of kit , are you going to be showing it at the dorset steam fair?

Horse'n Around

Thats really cool, I too had to Google DDD because Id never heard of them. You did a fantastic job :thumbs2:

312Hydro

I had to come back and look at your :banghead: again! After reading and thinking about the Triple D , I can really appreciate the vision you had building it. Thanks for posting pics and that's one great :banghead: ! :thumbs2:

Simon Smith

For the turntable, we fabricated a mounting for the front tractor which bolts to the drawbar hole at the bottom and has a 3/8" plate across the top of the gearbox to the chassis.

11thOctober051.jpg

Then another piece of 3/8" plate was made up to take a LandRover stub axle and welded to the underside of the rear tractor.

23rdAugust055.jpg

Then we cut the end off a landrover axle tube and welded it to one of the hubs.

15thSeptember052.jpg

Then a few wheelnuts later.

16thSeptember052.jpg

312Hydro

Thanks for the pics! I couldn't picture how they were joined. :thumbs2:

meadowfield

love it !

mark

Wheel Horse Kid

WOW that is awesome! Great Job!!!!!

jachady

A couple more questions. How do you control the engines? I see they are different hp, does that affect anything? How about the rear ends, how do you shift the one in front, with the cables over the hood? Whats the big black hose going from the rear tractor to the front?

Interesting build.

John

Simon Smith

The two cables operate the main gearbox on the front tractor, one moves the stick left-right the other forward-back, you have to get off to change from hi to low range.

The black hose contains the throttle cable, clutch cable and safety cut-out switch wiring.

The difference in engine size makes no difference to driving, but the front engine runs about 200rpm higher than the rear which makes the steering easier.

The steering is manual through a Hayter 21 gearbox used as a steering box, this is a cast iron worm gearbox with a bronze gear and steel worm and is well up to the job. Eventually we plan to change the steering to hydraulic, but it's fine for now.

• Like 1

HorseFixer

Pretty cool! :thumbs2:

~Duke

mavfreak

I'm very impressed!

WH Raider10

Very cool Wheelhorse you got there. Nice!!! :banghead::banghead: :thumbs2:

COMMANDO6

That is honestly the most... interesting... horse I've ever seen. At first I thought they were two separate tractors until I realized that they didn't have front ends.

It always amazes me at the fabrication work you guys do.

Stigian

:D Simon, good to have you aboard :banghead:

Wow!! what a great build, all it needs is twin cutting decks :thumbs2::banghead:

I remember seeing your you WH DD in a magazine a few years back, can't remember which one though..

Looking at the phone number on the side, are you Oxted way?

Simon Smith

Yes, the works is in Hoskins Road, Oxted. But the dual drive lives at home.