Sign in to follow this  
Coadster32

Hurricane Irene

nylyon

They're evacuating parts of NYC! :thumbs2:

Coadster32

Here's a picture of my neighbor's tree that doesn't make me feel too warm and fuzzy. The brown house is mine. The blue tarps is our wood pile.

pics001-5.jpg

Here's the pic of the 854 supporting the garage door. It weighs in at 800lbs.

pics002-4.jpg

The good news is it looks like it might not pack as much of a punch as anticipated. The bad news is it's projecting to go right over our head.

baerpath

I work for our local electric utility's distribution division and I'll be there 16 hours both Sat. and Sunday. At least my job is indoors directing theline crews where to go and where to do the switching to isolate an area where we have a lot of damage. Ill be okay as long as we don't run out of coffee............ We have friends from Cape May NJ who have to evacuate and will be staying with us. Carol's mom and her friend will probably be spending the weekend also. Gonna be a fun weekend.............

Our company was asked if we would do onsites for two of the power plants down there. With replacement if they get destroyed :thumbs2:

Carl if you have the time bring the camper up and I'll store it for you

Duane

Gerry w

Most schools here in Northern Vermont have already canceled school for Monday. They are worried that the power will be out everywhere. They are talking winds in excess of 70mph and up to 10inches of rain!

We are ready, when I built 7yrs ago I cut all the tall trees close to the houses footprint. That and with wood put away, geni on standby, and lots of coffee we are set!

Horse'n Around

Man, I promise I will keep yall in my prayers.This has got to be a very scary time for everyone in Irene's path. I hope and pray that everyone makes it thru this without a scratch, not only to their persons but to their property as well.

John

jusjeepn

Heading to Virginia tomorrow morning.... We will be on standby as it powers through, ready to go where were needed the most! They (AEP Indiana/Michigan Power) will only let us work 14 days, then we have to take 7 days off. We hear they are predicting at least 8 weeks of restoration time if Irene hits as predicted. Looks like my vacation will be on the east coast this year.....

Buzz, If I make it to Jersey, I'll be sure and look you up!

racinfool40

Pat and everyone else be safe and our thoughts and prayers are with you all!!!

Ken B

I bought a brand new Jeep for my wife yesterday. I can't pick it up until Monday or Tuesday because the insurance companies won't allow the dealers to insure new cars until this mess clears out. I could tell the dealer really wanted it off his lot so it wouldn't be his problem.

On another note, I fully expect that new 12x20 Shelter Logic tent I recently put up to be in another Zip code when this is all said and done. Trees? I've got so many huge trees right next to my house that it ain't even funny.

Butch

We have a mandatory evacuation going on. They turned 3 roads that go south and east and made them North and west only to speed up the evacuation. Radio said they were gonna close some roads. But I'm going nowhere unless the State Police will promise me a trooper to guard my place 24/7.

truckin88

As of noon tomorrow (which is today) all public transportation stops, buses, subways, railroads, amtrak and njt. Still waiting to hear on bridges.

nylyon

I think I'm as prepared as I can be. Took care of the trees, loose items outdoors, got food 90 gallons drinking water, camper ready with LP refrigerator 20,000 gallons of other usable water, flash lights, taking out the window air conditioners today....

Crap..... forgot the beer!

T-Mo

You guys keep safe. I never experience a hurricane and I pray I never do.

At least with a hurricane there is sufficient prior warning - those in Alabama back in April, and in Joplin back in May had just a few minutes warning. It's been an interesting year for weather and other nature related incidents.

My thoughts and prayers are with you guys out east.

stevebo

I am in western ct where they say the stom is going to track directly through :banghead: I have all the more collectable (roundhood) tractors in the garage and out of the shelterlogic tent. I am not sure how much can be done but to prep for the weather and make sure we are safe in the house. I still have a few more things to do and buy food etc. We will see what happens.... :thumbs2:

Gerry w

Steve, I think I'd "un-tarp" that shelter before it gets ripped to heck! Could you do that? Just leave the frame in place?

Thinking of you guys, stay safe and good luck!

nylyon

Steve, they're saying 70MPH sustained winds for us so far. Not as nasty as it could be but....

stevebo

The only way that tent gets un tarped is by mother nature! It is just not work the effort to do that but good idea.. It may be a kite as it will have a 520HC tied to it with a 60 inch deck... :thumbs2:

HorseFixer

I think I'm as prepared as I can be. Took care of the trees, loose items outdoors, got food 90 gallons drinking water, camper ready with LP refrigerator 20,000 gallons of other usable water, flash lights, taking out the window air conditioners today....

Crap..... forgot the beer!

Did I hear someone say beer? :thumbs2::D

Stay Thirsty My Friends! :banghead:

~Duke

:banghead:

Gerry w

The only way that tent gets un tarped is by mother nature! It is just not work the effort to do that but good idea.. It may be a kite as it will have a 520HC tied to it with a 60 inch deck... :banghead:

I'll let you know if it ends up around here!! :thumbs2:

Buzz

Well my day is starting off just swell.......... 7:45am some fool hit a pole and pulled a couple of wires down. Sent a crew out there. At 8:15 a drunk sheared off a fire hydrant and hit another pole breaking a cross arm knocking wires down. Sent a water crew and line crew to that one At that time it wasn't raining or any wind. Just fools on the road. The second pole is right around the corner from my office so I'm watching a river flow by from the fire hydrant. We also handle calls for the water utility so the swithboad is lit up about loss of water pressure and the water being dirty from being stirred up. Then to add to our fun we are getting dozen of calls asking if we are shutting the power off at 6pm. Apparently Atlantic City Electric is killing the power to the shore communities that were evacuated to prevent fires and damage if wires and poles come down. Busy, busy morning and Irene isn't even close......... Oh yeah, one of the crews swung by my house and picked up an overnight bag. They're setting up cots so I'll be here for the duration.

rexman72

Well my day is starting off just swell.......... 7:45am some fool hit a pole and pulled a couple of wires down. Sent a crew out there. At 8:15 a drunk sheared off a fire hydrant and hit another pole breaking a cross arm knocking wires down. Sent a water crew and line crew to that one At that time it wasn't raining or any wind. Just fools on the road. The second pole is right around the corner from my office so I'm watching a river flow by from the fire hydrant. We also handle calls for the water utility so the swithboad is lit up about loss of water pressure and the water being dirty from being stirred up. Then to add to our fun we are getting dozen of calls asking if we are shutting the power off at 6pm. Apparently Atlantic City Electric is killing the power to the shore communities that were evacuated to prevent fires and damage if wires and poles come down. Busy, busy morning and Irene isn't even close......... Oh yeah, one of the crews swung by my house and picked up an overnight bag. They're setting up cots so I'll be here for the duration.

buzz i feel your pain after the ice storm of 98 i was at the power plant for 4 straight weeks working 18 hours on and 6 off day after day and we are sitting here now just waiting for it to hit us in maine.i think the worst for me is just waiting and watching what it does south of us.

Buzz

We have a mandatory evacuation going on. They turned 3 roads that go south and east and made them North and west only to speed up the evacuation. Radio said they were gonna close some roads. But I'm going nowhere unless the State Police will promise me a trooper to guard my place 24/7.

Butch do you have a generator? ACE is killing power to a lot of the shore communities around 6pm. Not sure if you'll be affected but it wouldn't hurt to call them..........

Butch

Butch do you have a generator? ACE is killing power to a lot of the shore communities around 6pm. Not sure if you'll be affected but it wouldn't hurt to call them..........

Nope. No generator. We'll be okay. I'm just concerned about the water and wind.

nylyon

The hurricane has not officially hit yet, but it's been raining here since 8:30 this morning. My son had a football game and we were all soaked. The last information is that the storm is tracking more to the west (back into my area) but isn't as strong.

I think that we have everything that we need and we've battened down the hatches ready to ride this out. I'm sure power will go out, I hope that it doesn't stay out for long. For those who are working this weekend to help all of us, thank you and stay safe!

VinsRJ

Took care of the last items around the house this morning..... I wish those in the direct path nothing but safety...... see you after the show :thumbs2:

chesbaycruiser

Raining and blowing like an SOB here right now. On genset power. Lots of trees down, but so far none of mine. Still prob have six to eight hrs to go! :thumbs2: