Sign in to follow this  
John T

C-120 Hydro 1974 restoration

John T

Hello everyone! My K301 started making a new noise and I had to stop blowing snow before it stopped snowing last winter. This is the last straw and I am initiating a total tractor restoration. Today I got over half of the tractor down to small pieces including the engine removed, and transported to the engine shop. I am uploading a video I took showing the valve and piston and movement. Any comments are welcome and appreciated. I mowed our families lawn with for many years starting at about age 8 with this machine !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxtzeAdC7d8

rmaynard

Listening to the video, it sure sounds like a connecting rod about to go. Let us know what the verdict is when you hear from the machine shop. In my opinion it's worth fixing.

John T

Sure will - you're probably right. I am hoping to do a showroom restoration. You know ANYONE who MIGHT be able to closely replicate the two cushions for the seat of this? My seat pan is real solid and in my opinion the look of the seat is essential.

Got any somewhat organized info sources for parts? I am aware of partstree. I know I need a new clutch wear disc, and complete original exhaust.

I use this tractor to blow very salty snow and I am going to replace all fasteners with stainless.

The large cutout near the parking brake - I would like to put a tachometer in there. Anyone done this? I guess it could source off the spark signal.

John T

Had to bore to .020, new rod & piston, and turning crank down.

Raider12

Had to bore to .020, new rod & piston, and turning crank down.

Sounds about right for a good over haul. When I rebuilt my k-301 (about 18 years ago) I have bored mine to 10 over with piston and rod but needed a new crank. That was a bit pricey. I could rebuild a small black chevy the same money back then. :thumbs2: