Sign in to follow this  
chesbaycruiser

EARTHQUAKE!!!

chesbaycruiser

Just experienced an earthquake here...biggest one I've ever experienced by far. :thumbs2:

According to the USGS it measured 5.9 on the Richter Scale, and the epicenter was only about 30 miles from here, at a depth of about 4.6 miles. Lasted for 30 seconds or more and was reportedly felt as far away as New York and Martha's Vineyard.

Very odd to stand on the front porch and watch the ground, trees and parked cars shaking. A very powerful reminder of how very tiny we humans are on this big rock.

CB

nylyon

It jiggled the house here 60 miles north of NYC I can just imagine you folks in VA.

71_Bronco

My mom works in Hartford CT, and called me cause she felt it. I work in Middletown CT, and didnt feel a thing, weird.

truckin88

felt it in Brewster, NY

Kingwood990

Felt it here in NC. Felt like a helicopter was hovering over the house.

Coadster32

Didn't feel it on the coast in Connecticut. :thumbs2:

jdog_kustoms

i felt it in biglerville pa thought i was loosing it

mavfreak

I was at school in Pittsburgh PA, Didn't feel a thing but everyone else did and were all freaking out. Like I said i didn't feel a thing :thumbs2:

rmaynard

I was removing tiles from a Jacuzzi surround. All of a sudden the tub started moving side to side. I knew immediately that it was a quake, so I left the house. Came back in 10 minutes later, and good news was that the tiles were a lot easier to remove.

I was in Maryland, about 107 miles from the epicenter. My vacuum cleaner and a carton of caulk walked right out of the back of my truck and onto the driveway.

Kind of scary.

DoctorHfuhruhurr

If you go to the usgs.gov site (link below) you can log your location/experience so they can gather more data from individuals in various locations. I saw on the site there was 2.2 quake just outside of Albany NY at 6:35am this morning. The website may be slow since it's getting a lot of traffic.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/

clintonnut

First quake I have ever felt. I thought a semi truck convoy was going past my house.

Charlie

sscotsman

Felt it, lightly, in Rochester, NY..my desk at work was doing an odd vibrating..didnt actually *see* anything moving, but I could feel it clearly..

around here, only about 50% of people felt anything..many people didnt feel a thing and were unaware it had happened until it hit the news..

I was alone on the top floor of my office building..it was downright spooky! :thumbs2:

Scot

Buzz

I saw on the site there was 2.2 quake just outside of Albany NY at 6:35am this morning.

6:35? Isn't that about the time Duane gets out of bed and his feet hit the floor? Coincidence? Hmmmm........... :thumbs2:

JimD

It was reported on the six o'clock news that it was felt in downtown Cleveland Ohio in the hotels and office buildings. Stevasaurus said he thought he felt it in Elgin, Ill., but it was probably just gas. :thumbs2:

jbumgarner

We had a pretty good shake in Charlotte. I had to call my wife and make sure I wasn't going crazy.

:thumbs2:

oldredrider

Virginia Rocks!!! :thumbs2:

Operator

I was standing on the ground in Calumet IL at that time, wait that would be 7:35 in Calumet right? Either way didn't feel a thing.

littleredrider

wife texted me and asked if I felt it. It drive tractor trailer for Fedex Freight. At the time I was going up a hill that was all wash boards, I didn't feel anything out of the ordinary, I get bounced around all friggin' day....

I used to feel quakes when I was stationed in Misawa Japan. Cool but very weird and discomforting feeling. Neat at first if you never felt one, but after a couple the novelty wears off. Don't like the idea of the entire ground for hundreds of miles shaking, not knowing at any minute the ground where you are can open up and swallow you before you knew what hit you....

Operator

Got to thinking on this last night. I was in my sleeper and sometime between 4 am to 5:30 [it was dark outside] I was sleeping but all of a sudden the truck shook , like another truck ran into me a rough jolt didn't last a few seconds and that was it. Looked outside for another truck but nothing around :thumbs2: I just went back to sleep for awhile.

shorts

I was in an offroad dumptruck, the whole day was an earthquake :thumbs2:

chesbaycruiser

All told, so far we've had 5 seismic "shakes" in the last 24 hours.

5.8 8/23 1:51pm

2.8 8/23 2:46

2.2 8/23 3:20

4.2 8/23 8:04

3.4 8/24 12:45am

Ain't that the truth!!! :banghead:

fourwheels0

haha yes it does or should i say did.

we almost had whitecaps in the pool.