Sign in to follow this  
bmay432

pully spinning

bmay432

I have a 603 and the drive pulley keeps spinning even with the clutch fully depressed. The brake band is fine because the the brake side pully does not spin, only the drive pully. Any ideas.

boovuc

Do you have the belt guard on? If you don't, it needs to be on it to slack the belt.

BooVuc

Mill hall, PA

horse junkie

So as the pulley is spinning with the clutch depressed does the tractor try to move?

If the tractor isn't trying to move I would suspect the keyway

Kelly

Do you have the belt guard on? If you don't, it needs to be on it to slack the belt.

BooVuc

Mill hall, PA

Exactly, you need a belt guard to make the clutch work properly, and if the belt guard still has the tab on the front under the belt near the engine pulley, bend it so it is about a 1/8" away from the belt, that will help with stopping the belt.

bmay432

yes the tractor tries to move slightly. I do not have a belt guard. maybe that is my problem.I can not shift the gears because they will grind. I have to kill the engine to shift a gear.

rmaynard

I do not have a belt guard. maybe that is my problem.

Yup, that's the problem.

Do you have a belt guard that is not installed, or do you not have a guard at all?

wallfish

As a temporary solution you can make some guides to support the belt around the engine pulley. This should work until you find a belt guard. Constantly grinding the gears will ruin your transmission. Here's an old thread on the guides you can make out of 1/4" rod.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...topic=18754&hl=

TT

This is the tractor with the Briggs & Stratton engine, correct?

bmay432

It had a Brigg's on it when I got it but still can'y get it to run. I put a 5 hp honda on it just to see if the trans. worked properly, so that is what is on it right now. I do not have a belt guard so I will try to make some guides for now. thank's for all the advice.

Buzz

I do not have a belt guard. maybe that is my problem.

No maybe about it, you need a belt guard. Many of have learned that lesson the hard way too.............. :thumbs2: