Sign in to follow this  
Forest Road

Paint opinions

Forest Road

I'm having a 44" Dual stage blower blasted and painted. The painter gave me a price of $180 for a gallon of some sort of fleet red. How happy is everyone with the Valspar IH red? A gallon with hardener is $60.

My painter says he'll be using an epoxy primer then whatever paint I want. Even pink if I choose. I know absolutely nothing about paints so ANY input is greatly appreciated.

If I'm unhappy after season one I can always slap a coat of POR 15 / Hardnose on it. Truthfully I'd rather not invest anymore money.

Thanks

Kevin

rmaynard

Valspar Restoration Series paint is an automotive type paint. However, it is old technology. It is an alkyd (oil based) paint. Although it is tougher (with hardener) than some other paints, it still has the problems of weathering (chalking) and fading if left exposed to the elements. The gloss is not as good as newer types of paint. Reds tend to fade quicker than other colors. It will last longer than the Valspar Tractor & Implement paint. This information was given to me by a Valspar customer service rep.

My choice would be an automotive acrylic enamel or acrylic urethane. Some of these are single-stage, (color and gloss are in a single mix), or as a two-stage, which is base coat/clear coat. I have used Kirker acrylic urethane on my last two restorations. I painted two complete B-100's with less than one gallon. Total cost for paint and activator was less than $100.00

546cowboy

I have been using Van Sickle farm and implement paint with hardener added for over 5 years and have had no issues with fading or peeling. Here is a 520H I painted 5 years ago and you can see it still shines. I did not paint the deck though.

RightSide.jpg

RightRear.jpg

The prep work is the most important part of any paint job but that means nothing if the paint fades or flakes off in a year or so.

zieg72

This opinion is strictly coming from a paint guy. I have never repainted any of my tractors however I have worked for a paint company that serves this type of OEM industry for 26+ years on the Technical Service side. Reds in general are expensive period. There are literally dozens of pigments to choose from when making a red. The more light/UV stable a pigment type is the more it costs. The UV absorber cost is through the roof and Automotive types both have those better pigments/UV absorber packages in them. To give you an example I had a potential customer that we proposed our Standard performance 2K polyurethane industrial paint which is a high solids VOC complying coating which was considerably higher in cost per mixed gallon. Comparing the current Valspar offering we used approximately 30% less paint to do these semi-trailer flat beds. If you look at the unit cost we were slightly more. A standard accelerated test for color and fade resistance is QUV testing showed ours held up 3 times better than their current paint. Their opinions were the market they were in the trailers were made to order and they didn't really care. The only looked at the cost per gallon of the material.

You get what you pay for. Good-Alkyd, Good+ Alkyd with hardner, Better Acrylic Enamel, Better + is an Acrylic enamel with hardner. Best- true 2K urethane, then you get into Automotive grades.

It depends on how you want it to look and how it is stored. Inside storage I wouldn't worry about a real high quality Automotive paint unless you have deep pockets. I may do a tractor with a better quality but a snow blower attachment my concerns would be focused on the surface prep prior to priming and the quality of the primer. Getting down now :thumbs2:

zieg72

Forgot to add the DOI or distinctness of image (how clear stuff looks reflecting in the paint) is mainly a function of the resin. Wet look show cars versus a glossy tractor paint. One is like looking in the mirror while the other although glossy, not so much.

Now I am really done, paint I know....

Forest Road

Thanks for the info. We ended up going with a Fleet paint PPG Commercial Performance in IH red. My friend is not the least bit interested in painting another snowblower. He actually got the drum hung by himself. With a 1953 vette 8' away I was both shocked and impressed! I also had a complete plow blasted and painted. All in all everything came out really red!

VinsRJ

I like to use a corn brush and some Drip-oleum.... the dried in brissles adds effect and depth :thumbs2: :banghead:

AMC RULES

I like to use a corn brush and some Drip-oleum.... the dried in brissles adds effect and depth :thumbs2::thumbs:

:banghead::banghead: :D

mr.pipes

I like to use a corn brush and some Drip-oleum.... the dried in brissles adds effect and depth :thumbs2::banghead:

That is the same method used on this one. Just need to clean up the drips and decals. :banghead:

006.jpg

chesbaycruiser

Thanks for the info. We ended up going with a Fleet paint PPG Commercial Performance in IH red. My friend is not the least bit interested in painting another snowblower. He actually got the drum hung by himself. With a 1953 vette 8' away I was both shocked and impressed! I also had a complete plow blasted and painted. All in all everything came out really red!

Photos????

Wait...never mind...found the other thread! :thumbs2: