Sign in to follow this  
rthomp26

RJ-58 With a saggy gas tank

rthomp26

So the straps on my RJ aren't pulling the tank up tight enough to the hood. It's been fine for now but after the resto is done I dont want to have to push from below to get a good grip on the gas cap. I also want to make sure it's nice and high so that after new paint the cap doesn't rub against the hood. Anyone have any secrets? Thanks in advance. :thumbs2:

stevebo

You want to FIX it PRIOR to painting the hood. Sounds like you either are missing a strap or the tanks i he wrong size. Pics would help. My 58 RJ had a strap break AFTER I restored and painted the hood so I have no idea how to fix without welding the strap back which will make me have to repaint the hood due to burned paint :thumbs2:

Post a few pics and we can help you..

rthomp26

I'll see if I can post some pics. Both straps are there but one was repaired with a rivet at some point. Right now I'm in the middle of patching and sanding where the rivet was punched. I assume this is what is giving me issues. I may see if I can come up with some strong epoxy and use that to pull the tank up tight?

VinsRJ

Teh straps on my RAT I made with some sheel steel and a torch. I then spot welded into the hood, its not as hard as one would think, can't even tell I made the repair. You just need to take you time.