Sign in to follow this  
bmay432

Is this a 603?

bmay432

Can this be positively identified as a 603 or does it just have a 603 steering wheel on it?

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1313696908.jpg

Jim_M

Hard to tell without a good picture. Can you get the model number off of the tag?

bmay432

I have found no tag or numbers other than the unidrive patent sticker on the transmission.

bmay432

trying to post more pictures.

Attached Image

post-3-1313720288.jpg

Horse'n Around

I can only speak from my somewhat limited knowledge of things :thumbs2: so feel free take my thoughts on this with that in mind :banghead: From what I can see in this picture of the tractor as a whole, the frame, front axle and spindle assembly are from either a 1961 or 1962 model. The frame pictured has the flat front plate rather than the curved (and more pointed at the bottom) front plate of the 1963 and later frames which points to it being the frame of a 1961 (701) or 1962 (502,552 or702). The front axle, steering linkage and spindles are also from a '61 or '62 as well . Unless my eyes deceive me it appears to have a 701 foot board type footrest on the right side too. The engine doesn't look original to me, I think that at some point it might have been repowered, but I could easily be wrong about that..... Im sorry to say that as far as roundhoods go,my experience is limited to K161 and K181 Kohlers. With the additional information that some side views as well as a good shot of the dash, hood. tower and gas tank would provide it would be far easier to narrow and pin it down .

John

rmaynard

trying to post more pictures.

Get yourself a free Photobucket.com account. Then you can upload all the images that you want, and paste them to the thread.

Kelly

Well we need more and better pictures, I can only veiw the second one, and the 603 used the 62 style axle, they are also the only tractor to use the slide choke and throttle controls (kinda like the 400 subruban) mounted in the dash tower, all other models used the push pull controls.

Oh and no matter what model it is the briggs in it is not correct.

joebob

easyer to go to the tractor photo section and look up the 603 photos to compare yours to, I think theres 3\4 in there , the 603 hood stand is the only one of it kind and the only way to tell if it started life as a 603, ( small square opening with lever controls) everything else can be interchanged and often is

Indy w h

If your hoodstand is welded on (not bolted ) it started out as a 603 The frame /front end is correct for a 603 also. Get us more pics !!

Indy

bmay432

The hood stand is welded on not bolted. The choke and throttle are levers not push knobs. I am having trouble uploading pictures so I will try to post better ones.There was no hood or belt guards on the tractor when I got it. I live on the Alabama gulf coast, so old wheel horse tractors are far and few between. I have never seen another wheel horse in person so when I found this one I jumped on it. The man I purchased the tractor from was from Ohio. I paid $100.00 for it and I know you guys probably think that is too much for the shape it is in, but like I said you can't hardly find them around here so I had no problem paying that much for it. Thank's for all the replies I will try to keep you guys posted in the near future.

bmay432

another pic.

Attached Image

post-3-1313758244.jpg

JUSS10

looks like a 603 to me! it has all the markers than my 603 has, especially the paddle style choke and throttle levers

CasualObserver

Yes, it is a 603. I just sold mine a few weeks ago... still miss it a little. I think you did just fine for $100. If you're happy with it, it's a great price. You're right, Wheel Horses are hard to come across down there. Plans for it? Definitely looks like a project. Do-able, but it's going to take some work. Heck.... the steering wheel and choke/throttle control are the hardest parts of that tractor to find, and you already have both of those!

Indy w h

Yep it's a 603 Should have a 6 HP tecky on it so it's been re powered.

The gas tank is a little hard to find with the tall fill neck on it But a hood off of

A lawn ranger will fit Good luck with it !!

Indy

Horse'n Around

I didn't realize that the 603 was a totally different Horse than the other models made that year. I was under the wrong assumption that it was similar to the 653 so that is what I was comparing it to. Doh! That just shows how much I know :thumbs2: Like I said before I learn a lot of new things every day.

bmay432

I have dreams of restoring it but with two young kids and on a firefighters pay, time and money are tight. Like I said they are hard to come across in these parts but by God's grace I stumbled across a 50"s model today. I couldnt believe it. A 73 year old man told me he had it in the woods on his property so I gave him $20.00 and dragged it out(with no back wheels on it) by hand,almost didn't get it out but because I knew that this might be my last shot at a horse down here I didn't give up. It is in very bad shape but I will get it right one day. It even had a deck on it, eat up with rust.

joebob

the 603 only has a couple parts that are 603 only the rest are interchangeable, the hood fits 604,654 704 and 64-67 lawn rangers the belt guards are about the same just about anything with a techy and has round hood will fit, just may have too many/ or not enough mounting holes.

looks like you have the harder to find stuff so it shouldn't be to hard to find the rest.

post a pic of the fiftys model and someone times 10 will figure that out too