Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

Are My Tires Shot?

71_Bronco

So I was taking the wheels off the spindles tonight and noticed my tires have seen some better days. I was wondering what you guys think. They still hold air fine, but I am afraid that if I dismount them when I paint the wheels, that I will ruin them.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

IMG_3105.jpg

IMG_3093.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3090.jpg

smoreau

Some dry rot but should be fine. its up to you if you use the old ones or buy new. they look ok for a worker in my book.

clyde

:woohoo: do what i do use painters tape and work your way around the rim and tire and paint. works great just tape the whole side wall and you wont scratch the paint moun ting the tires :D

Irv

Ditto what Clyde said. I use masking tape (3" or so pieces) and newspaper. And some of that Miller tire paint and they'll look like new.

Calebintn

Those tires have atleast another hundred thousand miles left in them. My 64 & 66 models both have original tires and they work great.

Sparky

My opinion is they are shot if the tractor is going to be a worker. Once your tires get to be as old as those they get dry-cracked and HARD. Once the rubber gets hard the traction gets lousy. Get some new 2 ply tires which are soft and pliable which give the best grip my opinion.

If its a trailer queen(nothing wrong with that) then use the old tires with some tire paint.

Mike..............

grnlark

Agree with the above! But I'd go one step further. Peel them off, tire paint them and while they're off tube them. You'll definitely never have a problem after that.

71_Bronco

Well, here's what I was thinking. I want to take the tires off so I can prep & paint (possibly powder coat) the wheels. I was originally gonna tube them and say f**k it, as this is going to be a worker (a pretty one at that).

Part of me is saying "why tube them?", because if I am spending money, I would rather "fix" the issue (and buy new tires) then "patch" it with a tube.

They are the original tires as far as I can tell, they do say "wheel horse" right on them (front & rears). I would prolly keep the tires if I do replace them though.

The only thing preventing me from just ordering them is the price. I can understand 30 bucks each for the fronts, but the rears are gonna cost me about 200 bucks for the pair.

I am really close to just saying "f**k it" and buying new ones, just so I don't have to worry about.

Duff

71 Bronco, please edit the third sentence of your post just above - we have young readers here! :banghead:

Thanks!

Duff :thumbs2:

71_Bronco

71 Bronco, please edit the third sentence of your post just above - we have young readers here! :banghead:

Thanks!

Duff :thumbs2:

My mistake, thanks. I remembered for the second one lol.

Wheel Horse Kid

I agree. I think that they have some life in them yet!

can whlvr

i would try not to wreck them as rhey do say wheelhorse which is cool