Sign in to follow this  
gipster

Winter Prep

gipster

Hi ALL,

Thought I would poll the collective wisdom for getting the herd ready for the winter. I will be plowing with the 175 and blowing with the 14hp conversion. Unfortunately, neither can be inside so there will be cold morning starts aplenty. I was wondering what the group does to prep for winter.

The C175 kohler manual says to go to a lighter oil below 32 deg. Do any of you do that?

I thought I would try a dipstick heater to keep the engine oil warm on both tractors.

I need a new battery, I was thinking that I would try an AGM battery for the tractor as well. the conventional batteries say that they can freeze. Any tips would be appreciated. thanks

jim

Operator

A charged battery will not freeze. I put battery tenders on mine , keeps the charge up. Lighter oil helps. Let the hydro warm up good before you try moving them.

sorekiwi

I'd do the lighter weight oil for sure, but I'm gonna wait another month or so before I switch to that.

I'm not sure on your other questions. I've never used a dipstick heater, but I think as long as the things are reasonably reliable they wont do any harm, and warm oil definately makes for an easier start than cold oil.

Not sure on your battery question either, I have never had a problem with a fairly new battery, but I do know that a battery that was marginal in summer definatately SUCKS in winter.

X2 for allowing the trans to warm up, it also lets the engine warm up before you put it to work.

For referance, my tractors are inside, but in an unheated garage that is usually below freezing in the depths of winter.

Gerry w

A charged battery will not freeze. I put battery tenders on mine , keeps the charge up. Lighter oil helps. Let the hydro warm up good before you try moving them.

X3 for warming up the trans before you move the rig. I've used a dipstick heater, and it smelled like it burned the oil, just watch the time it's left in. I'd go with a magnetic block heater if I could find one. Also a big yes on a battery tender, it keeps the battery fresh and really helps when temps get below neg 15 or more.

A big help is a cup of Irish coffee before you go out, the stronger you make it the warmer you will be! Have fun! :woohoo:

shorts

go with good batteries and keep them charged, find a flexable mat type oil heater that can be stuck ti the oil sump, also put one on the hydro trans, don't leave them pluged in all the time just 1 hr before starting ot the most. another option would be to "tent" the tractor with a tarp and point a torpedo heater under the tarp for 10 or 15 minuites preheat

rmaynard

You are in Pittsburgh, I am in Central Maryland. Our weather is similar, but I'd imagine you do get a bit more colder temps than me.

I plow with a B-100, 8-speed. It is kept in an unheated garage until called into action. Sometimes if the garage is being used for something else, it stays under a tarp in the driveway. I do nothing different in the winter than in the summer. The charging system on all of my tractors are in good working order, so I know that the battery will perform when asked to. Any tractor that is not being used during freezing weather has the battery removed and stored inside.

I use straight 30W oil year round. I do check the transmission before winter to make sure that I don't have water in the oil which can freeze.

Other than that, I know that my Wheel Horse is always good to go in any weather.

Now, having said that, I don't say that it is right for you. If you want to change oil and add a trickle charger, pan warmer or whatever, that is up to you. I just know what has worked for me for the last 18 years.