Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

8 speed issue

Kelly

Ok transmission gurus I have a 8 speed I put in a round hood worked perfect all winter, this summer taking it to shows it acted like the belt was slipping, ( new WH belt) so I checked the clutch spring, and even tried to pull the pedal back with my toes, that did not help, once it was rolling it was fine, till this weekend it will almost not move at all, the pulleys are tight, keys good, wheel hubs good, then I shift the high low lever to low and it takes right off, just like nothing is wrong, put it back in high and it will not move, in any gear, but all gears work in low range, this happened over a couple months, no grinding, funny noises just acted like it was slipping, what do I look for when I split the case?? anyone ever have this issue?

TT

Check the hi/lo fork first. It's highly doubtful, but it might only be moving enough to pull the sliding gear out of low range, but not into high.

Look at both the "splines" (inside teeth) on the hi/lo sliding gear:

010810tranz036.jpg

or the teeth they mesh with on the input/main shaft (bottom left on the shaft I'm holding):

010810tranz035.jpg

Power is routed around those teeth when in low range since it's now driving through the reduction "cluster" gear ~ which is the one held in the case by it's own pin:

010810tranz106.jpg

TT

OK - I found better pictures. :woohoo:

Screwdriver is pointing to the hi/lo sliding gear in the low range position:

010810tranz076.jpg

(yeah - I know it's upside-down. :D )

Power would come through the input shaft to the hi/lo cluster gear and back to the sliding gear - which drives the mainshaft at a much lower speed than the input shaft:

010810tranz075.jpg

When the sliding gear is moved into the high range position, it moves away from the reduction cluster gear and locks the input shaft / mainshaft gear together so the mainshaft turns at input shaft speed:

010810tranz074.jpg

jachady

To add to this, my shifter fork broke, but I could tell when I took the trans apart that it started off bending. Maybe yours bent not allowing the gears to completely mesh, giving you that slipping feeling. Then broke, taking away your ability to move. Hopefully your gears are all good and all you need is to weld up the fork. It's a bad picture but heres how overkill I welded up mine.

th_IMG00291.jpg

John