Sign in to follow this  
71_Bronco

HELP!!! Steering Parts Questions... UPDATE: I Wi

71_Bronco

As you all know, I am tearing down my 71 Bronco 14. I ran into 2 things tonight that I need you guys' help on.

First is, How do I remove the steering wheel? I punched out the cross pin that holds it onto the steering shaft, but cannot get the wheel off the shaft. I didn't try anything to radical, as I didn't want to damage the wheel or anything. I didn't know if this really did take some brute force to get off, or if there was an easier way.

Second, is that I need a new part. I need the bushing that goes on the front end of the horizontal steering arm. It looks like the one shown in the pic below. The inner "Ball" of mine is cracked, and I figured I would replace it while I have the thing apart and out. Are these still made? And if so, where do I buy them?

Thanks

KGrHqMOKoYE0gPGc96tBNCnsDzg_1.jpg

TT

The easiest way to remove the steering wheel is to take the wheel / upper shaft / dash housing "assembly" to someone with a hydraulic press.

The lower steering shaft bearing is P/N 6472 and is still available (as far as I know) from Toro for around $10

C-Series14

If I knew your location (hint) and you were close enough, I got a 12 ton press that will take care of the steering wheel woes....

71_Bronco

C-Series, I am quite a ride from you. I am located in central-southern CT.

So basically, what you guys are saying, is that I cannot get the wheel off without a press? Seems kinda stupid to have the cross pin in there then if the shaft is so tight on the wheel. I would have thought it would be a close slip fit with the cross pin to prevent slipping and turning on the shaft.

TT

I would have thought it would be a close slip fit with the cross pin to prevent slipping and turning on the shaft.

It was...... 40 years ago. :woohoo:

Check this out:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...ndpost&p=194975

71_Bronco

Thanks TT, as usual, you are a big help. I will try that out tonight and see how I do.

71_Bronco

So I got the dash off to the bare parts, and I brought the shaft / wheel / dash over to the bench. I tightened it up in the vice, and had to use a sledge to tighten it so the shaft wouldn't spin while I tried twisting.

Well, I twisted and it did a whole lotta nothing. My dad got home and I asked what he thought we should do. He looked it over and said "no wonder it won't turn, there's a key in there". WTF! So we sprayed some penitratingoil on it and let it sit for a couple minutes while we broke out the 3 jaw puller, and the impact gun. Rigged it up and started to pull. At first, nothing. Then it popped, and slowly the wheel came off, and low and behold, there was one of the half-circle keys in the shaft.

All in all, got it off, but was a bit of a pain to say the least.