Sign in to follow this  
Butch

Do I need weights to push snow?

Butch

I'd like to know if I can plow snow with chains only on my C-85 or would I need weights? What company had those strap type chains that someone just mentioned about a week ago? Thanks

CasualObserver

Kinda depends.... how big a boy are ya? :woohoo: Adding weight can help with traction, but it also makes the tractor DAMN heavy to try to pull back if you get stuck.

You talking about these? http://www.rubbertirechains.com/

COMMANDO1

Chains should be enough.......worked great on my commando

Lane Ranger

I bought a pair of these rubber tire chains to fit my B-80 Wheel Horse last year.

I had some new concrete poured in my drive way and did not want to leave

the steel chain marks digging into the new concrete when pushing a large pile of snow.

Here is a good photo showing the rubber chains on the rear of my B-80:

100_9724.jpg

These rubber chains amazed me on well they grip and worked. I have had no problems with them. They are double to three times the cost for new steel chains but they work great.

http://www.rubbertirechains.com/index.php?...e=index&cPath=4

:woohoo:

dgoyette

I am 175# and I need weights. I tried it with just chains and it worked ok until the snow gets heavy. When plowing more weight is better for sure.

rmaynard

I've pushed tons of show with only chains on the back of my B-100. With my 230 lb butt in the seat, I can't see where weights would do any better. My driveway is virtually level though.

stevebo

Butch,

Wheel weights with chains mounted on turf tires and lower the psi in the tires and you should be good. As mentioned, if your drive is level you may get away without the them. I do not want to get stuck :woohoo: You should be used to getting stuck since you drive that ford :D Just kidding !! Why not plow with the 175??

KC9KAS

I weigh 230# and plowed with just chains in the 09/10 winter. I added fluid to the tires last fall, and there was so much difference....like night & day, but as was said earlier, your tractor will be heavier/harder to move if you get hung-up.

rexman72

weight always helps when pushing snow.

hounddoghundzsa

:woohoo: Be careful with the chains if the tires are showing any sign of dry rot. They will eat them tires up in no time!

jimbotelho

Butch steel chains and weights and you will be good to go .How is the 175 you have? I owned it once and that machine is a power house why not use it and save the small machine just my opinion Big Jim from newfairfield

Butch

The C-175 has taken over mower duties since the PTO on the C-85 keeps shutting the motor down. I don't think it's the seat switch. Both wires are connected to the switch and I doubt that it went bad. But I will check it out. Plus I don't know if I wanna put chains on the new wheels and chance them slapping the fenders.

littleredrider

What?? I have a plow on my ranger, I only weight 178lb, have ags on the back and that's it. Nice fresh blacktop driveway helps, but that little thing is a mini bulldozer. Very rarely did I not have traction, usually only off the blacktop. The way the plow mounts under the motor rather than out back, it will pull the front wheels off the ground...kinda hard to steer....

Coadster32

If you really want to push snow, weights are key. In the back for traction. In the front for steering. I use Ag tread in the back, and tri-rib in the front. Part of my driveway is stamped concrete, and don't want to ruin it. My 854 weighs 1000lbs with me on it. How can you push heavy snow without a heavy tractor? :woohoo:

th_pics053.jpg

pics055.jpg

JackC

You may be OK in S Jersey. Here in Massachusetts you need weights. I found my C-85 a little too small and light, even with weights, for plowing here. Big and heavy works best. I now have a D-160 beast to plow with. Watchout with the chains on a black top or cement driveway. I found that the V bar chains were too agressive for my black top.

dgoyette

How can you push heavy snow without a heavy tractor?

So darn logical Chris, best statement yet.

sorekiwi

OK, so I've only been 180 lbs at my peak, but I needed weight and chains on turf tires to push snow around. 7 gallons of windshield washer fluid in each rear tire, 2 link chains and it will still get stuck if I put a wheel off in the wrong place.

Mind you where I live its not unusual for the snow to be 8-12" deep when I'm pushing it, your mileage may vary.

Butch

I was gonna start pushing the snow when it's 2" deep because I have a long way to push it. I have a 250' circle drive, asphalt. I'm gonna go with those rubber chains.

Wheel Horse Kid

I think that wheel weights would be a plus for plowing snow!

can whlvr

i plowed for 15 years with no weights,but im 250 so i thought i dont need weight,made the concrete weights for all around,ill never go weightless again,its way better

Butch

The PTO on my C-85 started working again for some unknown reason. Since I can continue to mow with the C-85 I have now put the snow plow on my C-175. Hopefully the extra weight will help with plowing. I also ordered rubber chains.

Lane Ranger

Butch: I think you will like the way those rubber chains work and how well they grip in the ice and snow!

You will have to post some photos after the first snow fall removal job!

:thumbs2:

Speedbump

Tuff to say what you will need, each snow and driveway is different.

I plowed my 675' driveway, on a slight hill, with just chains, using a 312-8 for 12 years. I am currently at 160 lbs and back than I was lighter.

It is a dirt road with the last 150' blacktopped and a big parking area, I move a lot of snow.

3 years ago I added 6 gallons of RV antifreeze per tire (~60 lbs per) and last year added WH weights (40 lbs?? each). Making the current total about 320lbs including me.

Each additional weight made the heavy snow eaiser to move. But I have to be careful to stay on the road or I sink into the shoulder and get stuck. Like they all said, it is harder to get unstuck with the additional weight.

The one issue I have is my plow is "V" plow from all the hard work.

And some storms do get deep and wet (heavy).

I would suggest chains (steel or rubber) as a start and see how it works.

Add weight as required.

At some point you may start to be concerned for the key in the axle shaft as you get heavier but you probably will not get there.

I love these questions as we get to understand what everyone else uses.

Forest Road

I'm going w/ 55lb wheel weights and 4 - 44lb suit case weights these days. I'm 250. Hopefully the ice firms up the gravel driveway. Flat black top I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Do you have a snow blower? If not you'll be very happy with a single stage.

Butch

I'm going w/ 55lb wheel weights and 4 - 44lb suit case weights these days. I'm 250. Hopefully the ice firms up the gravel driveway. Flat black top I wouldn't be overly concerned.

Do you have a snow blower? If not you'll be very happy with a single stage.

N0, no snow blower. Just a plow. What kind of setup do you have those suitcase weights on?