Sign in to follow this  
Martin

Martin

well just got home with #3, a 1057. mostly all there, some of it not original, all of it needing some tlc.

this ended up being the most expensive one to date when i factor in the breakdown 170 miles from home, fuel pump in the sierra took a dump. ended up handing over $$$$ for the flatbed home. :woohoo::D

kent seemed to enjoy himself in the tow truck though. dad wasnt so happy. oh well, i guess the pump could have gone at any time, would have been nicer closer to home, but at least it didnt happen on the way home from charlotte last weekend with the trailer and quite a ways further.....

heres some pics, i think im gonna take my time working on this one though........

CIMG1100.jpg

CIMG1101.jpg

CIMG1102.jpg

CIMG1103.jpg

CIMG1104.jpg

CIMG1105.jpg

CIMG1106.jpg

CIMG1107.jpg

CIMG1109.jpg

CIMG1112.jpg

whfan74

:woohoo:

You are now officially hooked Martin!

Congrats on the new Horse!

sorekiwi

Looks like a pretty nice tractor, I'm sure you will straighten her out nicely.

My poor 1057 is about to become an organ donor for my 1054, so if you need any bits, just holler.

Gene_S

Martin good tractor find... The 10 horse kohlers are really good motors but I don't have to tell you that with you having your 1054... :D

Sorry to hear about you truck problems... There's always something isn't there... :woohoo:

Retired Wrencher

:woohoo: :D:ROTF: Martin Nice 1057 I have 2 of them 1 will be for show the outer for work and putting around shows.These 57 series tractors are great for every thing. U seem to sit into these not on top of I guess like a horse. if u would like find some front tires and steering wheel with the seat and u will be done, you can find the choke and throttle cables on e-bay all the time for about $30.00 in new condition then u will be all orig. I hope u enjoy the 1057 and the outer ones that u have. Get some seat time and enjoy the ride. Gary B.... here is mine. keeping1057005.jpgkeeping1057002.jpgkeeping1057009.jpg

tunahead72

Martin,

Another nice-looking tractor for your collection, have fun with it! How's it run?

Please tell me that's not a fuel line routed under your exhaust system?!?

I feel your pain with the fuel pump thing, just went through that with my wife's Escape, in an airport an hour plus from home.... Another of life's little adventures, I'm guessing Kent will remember this differently than you do. :woohoo:

Martin

Looks like a pretty nice tractor, I'm sure you will straighten her out nicely.

My poor 1057 is about to become an organ donor for my 1054, so if you need any bits, just holler.

mike,

pm sent

Martin

thanks for the comments guys,

Martin,

Another nice-looking tractor for your collection, have fun with it! How's it run?

Please tell me that's not a fuel line routed under your exhaust system?!?

I feel your pain with the fuel pump thing, just went through that with my wife's Escape, in an airport an hour plus from home.... Another of life's little adventures, I'm guessing Kent will remember this differently than you do. :woohoo:

not running as we speak. so that is the first thing i need to take care of. the fuel line that you speak of is actually the throttle cable with some gas line covering it. choke is the same way. ive seen this done before, i think some guys do it saying it helps hold lube around the casing of the cable to stop them seizing.

kent handled the whole fuel pump thing differently than dad did.........

Retired Wrencher

:woohoo: :D:ROTF: Martin if u take the carb Off be careful of the rubber o rings on the pluming on the carb the rubber can flake off if pinched. And it will clog the carb. and the O rings are hard to find. T/Care Gary B......

Martin

:woohoo::D:ROTF: Martin if u take the carb Off be careful of the rubber o rings on the pluming on the carb the rubber can flake off if pinched. And it will clog the carb. and the O rings are hard to find. T/Care Gary B......

this one will be getting compression fittings and new line from pump to carb just like my 1054 pictured below. i also changed my 875 to avoid putting deteriorated rubber through the carb.

CIMG0617.jpg

Martin

update..

nice day so wheeled it out in the sun to do a bit of tidying up and get all the small stuff fixed to get it running. tank was full of garbage so cleaned it out, elbow/shut off valve screens all busted inside, i think it probably had a glass bowl one originally, but ive just ended up replacing with an elbow with screen/shutoff from napa on the others.

didnt come with a battery. these take the bigger than lawn/garden battery with round posts so i was told, and the cables are set up that way. still dont know alot about the 1057 so cant comment. anyway put the old battery left over from the 1054 in it and just pushed the cables on the flat posts. all electrical checked out, so i cranked on it to see if it would turn over. i didnt want to run it as the oil looks like crap in the engine and the gas tank was still getting cleaned out. it ended up firing in the first two or three seconds and ran on what gas was in the carb bowl!!! shut it off quick, but it sounded good, so far.....po said it was running up until 2 or so months ago, but it looks like it hasnt been running for quite a while. only got to look at the amount of crap on the carb and engine to see its been sitting for a while. so with a bit of gas work and tidying electrical and some clean oil it should be a runner.

on to the gearbox. pulled the drain plug, about 2 seconds of water and then milky brown crap the rest of the way. not sure whether to just flush a bit with clean oil and try it out or just pull it down and go through it. i would like to get a few hours on it first but the seals look bad too. hubs look like they need work too. so that will be next.

drive pulley on engine was all loose so i thought id better look at that too. seems that a butchered up 1/2 inch long bit of key stock doesnt really do a good job of keeping the pulley tight on the shaft, even when you tighten the set screw that is in the keyway all the way to compensate for the lack of key stock the entire width of the pulley....... :ROTF: not really sure what was going on here :woohoo:

need to sort a few other things and it should be ready to 'test drive' :D

sorekiwi

seems that a butchered up 1/2 inch long bit of key stock doesnt really do a good job of keeping the pulley tight on the shaft, even when you tighten the set screw that is in the keyway all the way to compensate for the lack of key stock the entire width of the pulley....... :D not really sure what was going on here :woohoo:

Interesting you say that Martin, as most of the tractors that come my way have that same 1/2" long piece of keystock. It must have been the factory spec.

I always replace it with a piece the width as the pulley, I dont see the point in running any less.

Retired Wrencher

nice job on the 1054 did u find new fittings for this and where did u find them??? those brass fittings are expensive aren't they. Gary B>..........

Martin

nice job on the 1054 did u find new fittings for this and where did u find them??? those brass fittings are expensive aren't they. Gary B>..........

the local farm store, farm and fleet, which is like tsc, sells them in the plumbing section. roughly $2-$3 each. and i used brake line for the tubing.

shorts

brass fittings are cheap when you figure in the aggravation and trouble that the rubber and related debris cause when they get into the carb, then it seems like a bargain.

Martin

brass fittings are cheap when you figure in the aggravation and trouble that the rubber and related debris cause when they get into the carb, then it seems like a bargain.

thats right :woohoo: just one less thing to worry about. since these things are after the pump and usually any inline filter, once they go, its straight to the carb.

heres an earlier thread on my experiences with these rubber seals........

working on the 1054

Retired Wrencher

I will have to see if the tractor store has any of the rubber O ring or fittings . so these fittings are 3/16 I.D. ???? do u know the O.D.???. As for the other stores I don't think we have any in this area. T/Care Gary B..............

Martin

I will have to see if the tractor store has any of the rubber O ring or fittings . so these fittings are 3/16 I.D. ???? do u know the O.D.???. As for the other stores I don't think we have any in this area. T/Care Gary B..............

old fittings and line (for the rubber seals) is 3/16 od.

new compression fittings and line is 1/4 od.

thread size for both fittings, if i remember correctly, is 1/8 NPT.

Martin

changed/flushed oils in engine and trans and put a filter in the gas line. cleaned up a few things that weren't too safe and rolled it outside...

poured in some gas pulled the choke and it fired right up.

drove it around for about half hour. trans and engine are reasonably quiet, much nicer than expected. drives nice, suffering from bad belt slip, but nothing a new belt wont take care of. think i did good for this one. this is the second one bought not running and both this one and the 875 have ended up being better than expected.

heres a video of it running.

click on pic......

th_CIMG1113.jpg

Martin

seems that a butchered up 1/2 inch long bit of key stock doesnt really do a good job of keeping the pulley tight on the shaft, even when you tighten the set screw that is in the keyway all the way to compensate for the lack of key stock the entire width of the pulley....... :D not really sure what was going on here :woohoo:

Interesting you say that Martin, as most of the tractors that come my way have that same 1/2" long piece of keystock. It must have been the factory spec.

I always replace it with a piece the width as the pulley, I dont see the point in running any less.

mike,

didnt see your post until just now.

the key was about 1/2 inch long but was so butchered that it didnt look like oem to me. i guess it could be. just doesnt seem long enough to do the job. the set screw wasnt even holding it, as it wasnt long enough to go the width of the pulley. the set screw was just tightened down on the key way groove in the crank. so with everything being a little loose the key was just moving around in there and the engine side of the key grove and pto was keeping it there. all i could find was a 1 inch long key to put in there, needs to be just a little shorter so the pto can snug up to the pulley. but the key fit real nice in the groove on the crank and the pulley so its all tight now.

cant say the same for the right rear axle though. the key way in the axle is worn almost too much for my liking. right hub is good though. havent looked at the left side as it didnt look that bad, i guess time will tell.......

Actonhorse

Nice tractor Martin, looks like you did really well!

I have a 1067 that I love to work... I found it after it sat for about 5 years and had to do about the same things you did to this one. I use it all the time and really enjoy it!

Have fun with this one. (you might want to leave it original and use it as a worker?)

Retired Wrencher

:woohoo: :D:ROTF: OK Martin thanks for the info Gary B...................

condo630

That's pretty sweet. Got a nice sound too.