Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

Tiller Spring

mattd860

Where does the tiller spring attach to the tractor? I know where it attaches to the tiller but I can't figure out where to hook it to the rear of the tractor. I have a manual and it doesn't make it clear. It's almost like I'm missing a bracket or something that mounts to the tractor to connect the spring to.

Tillspring.png

stevebo

Matt,

I am not sure exactly what it is used for ? If it is for lift assist then IMO you do not need it as it is easy enough to lift without it. If it is used for shock absorsion then that is different. I was just looking at mine yesterday and while I do not have the actual spring I was wondering where it would hook to the tractor too :woohoo:

dennist

Mine hooks to the rear axle bracket.

WH Raider10

Matt,

You need a 90 degree bend piece of metal with a hole in it that comes on the left side of you snow plow/tiller bracket to hook the spring to. If you need a picture just ask me.

P-J :woohoo:

dennist

Matt, If you look at the left of my bracket, that is the hole that I use.

002-6.jpg

mattd860

Thanks Dennis. My axle bracket does not have the angled piece on the left side like your's shows. Both the left and right side of my axle bracket look like the right side of your bracket.

Now that I know where it's supposed to connect to I can fab up something in that area. I'll probably just fab up my own piece of angle iron.

Dennis - when you get a chance, see if the axle bracket on the 520h I'm picking up from you has the angled piece shown in your picture.

can whlvr

i just hook mine to the bolt that holds the rear bracket,its never come off

shorts

the newer tillers that come with the lift assist spring have the angle bracket for the left side of the axle hitch on the kit. if you have hydraulic lift the spring is not necessary but if you are using the mechanical lift with just the cable and no mechanical lift assist linkage under the seat the spring is a big help.

I keeep my tiller on a movers dolly and when I install it I roll it into place, attach it to the axle mounts and then put some tension on the spring with the lift in the up position before I remove the dolly

mattd860

My next question is regarding the lift assistant under the seat. Is the lift assistant absolutely necessary? I'm currently running without one but I'm not doing any heavy tilling. I just need to till up some mulch so I can scrape it off and dispose of it.

shorts

my c120 doesn't have the lift assistant and without it it takes a decent left arm to lift the tiller manually

HorseFixer

my c120 doesn't have the lift assistant and without it it takes a decent left arm to lift the tiller manually

Shorts My left arm works the hydro lever! :woohoo::ROTF:

Cheers ~Duke

:D