Sign in to follow this  
darren

42" RD deck question

darren

I'm tearing down my deck to replace the blades which seem well past their best; they look to be original (!) on a '92 deck, which is otherwise in good shape.

I've dropped the spindles out to work on them (I just couldn't get the bottom/blade nuts off of the outer spindles so I'm going to have to replace them) but I've noticed a lot of black fibrous material under the cup which sits just above the blade.

At first I thought it was some mesh or netting that a previous owner had run over but it was so well compacted I started wondering if it was some kind of fibre washer. I've double checked the parts diagram for my deck and I'm now sure it shouldn't be there.

My deck is a 1992 D5-42MR01:

5_302006.gif

and I can see on the parts diagram that there's not where the spindle exits the bearing in the bottom of the housing, there's supposed to be;

(26) retaining ring

(27) spacer

(28) Spindle cup

the spindle cup butts up against the nut on the spindle shaft, beneath which is;

(33) spacer

(30) blade

(29)spacer

(31) nut

Can someone tell me what the purpose of the retaining ring is? I'm guessing the cup is to prevent grease escaping from the spindle shaft and the spacer gives the cap some standoff from the base of the spindle housing. Is that right? I don't understand the purpose of the retaining ring though..

I'm right in thinking the wadded material i removed from the cup is detritus from mowing though aren't I? None of the spindle caps had a large fibre padded washer?

Many thanks,

Darren

TT

The "retaining ring" should be an internal snap ring. It is what retains the bottom spindle bearing in the housing.

Grease, dust, old grass, etc. usually collects inside the cups and is probably what you've discovered.

darren

Ah-ha. Thanks TT, for a very quick response.

That makes sense. Because the bottom bearings had stayed put and the housings pretty dirty, I hadn't realised the rings located there to hold them in. I'll finish cleaning tomorrow and will replace the bearings as a matter of course. Now I know where the snap rings should go..

Cheers!

SAM58

Did you try an impact wrench & socket?

I aquired a small compressor, 79.00 1/2 drive impact wrench & socket set from Lowe's.

Kroil pent. fluid... :woohoo:

Brings the nut off the blades evertime.

I have redone about 7 decks, the first one I used wrenches and it was a witch... :D

darren

Thanks for the advice Sam. I actually do have an impact wrench but no compressor at the moment and no impact sockets of the right size unfortunately. I had to cut the pulleys off anyway which grazed the upper part of the spindles slightly and i figured new spindles were no bad thing.

We're moving home at the moment, so once we're installed I'll get a compressor and sockets; i've a feeling they'll earn their keep over the years to come! :woohoo: