Sign in to follow this  
njdpo

Hitch questions

njdpo

Hello all,

Working on a commando 800 and while changing out the gearbox oil I attempted to remove the hitch (and the large retaining pin) from the gearbox casing.

I was able to get the retaining clips off the pin that secures the hitch assembly to the gearbox - but I was not able to get the pin out. Hitting it with a mallet didn't move it at all...

I'm suspecting that it is frozen in there real good ... I'm soaking it down a bit to see if I can free it up a bit.

The reason Im looking at this hitch is - I'm wondering if I could put a ball on it to drag around motorcycle/.boat trailers as needed (i would need the 1 7/8 ball - but a smaller thread so that I could put it directly into the hitch on the 800).

It may be worth mentioning that I could not get a could swing with the mallet as the wheel was in the way. So if I can get some feedback similar to "get a bigger hammer" then I will remove on the the wheel and smack it harder. (or perhaps hit the case with a torch and heat it up a bit ?)

I do NOT want to crack/break the gearbox case - i dont need it off that badly...

- thx dave

Attached Image

post-3-1312903785.jpg

Doubletrouble

I would say soak it, soak it then soak it some more! They take a little coaxing and alot of soaking with a good penatrating oil.

jbumgarner

I had the same problem last week and there are several post further down that pertain to the removal of the pin. Take a look at those and they should help you. I had to cut the pin out, but hopefully you will have better luck than I did.

Coadster32

Try to get all the rust/crud, etc. off the pin. Soak it up really good. I would also go with heat as well, (don't be bashful). Remove the tire, and hit torwards the thicker side of the casting, as to help with the not breaking part, (don't be bashful on this either). Watch for "mushrooming" the end as you hammer if it does move. If it doesn't even budge, you'll prob. have to machine it out. Good luck.

Indy w h

Use an air hammer with a blunt ended bit and work it side to side

Indy