Sign in to follow this  
sned

310 wont stay in low

sned

I have a 310 that works fine in high but when I put in low its almost like its not letting me slide the lever to the left enough. Looking through the slide hole I can see the bar is routed under a structural piece and it restricts the lever from being pushed all the way left. Does this sound right? I will take a pic tomorrow to illustrate what I mean. Its been like this since I bought it. It's just annoyed me enough now where I am motivated to fix it.

tunahead72

I can't picture what might be restricting your lever, but you can remove the cover plate to get a better look. It's easy to take off, just 4 screws/bolts, you'll have to remove the shift lever knobs also to get it off completely.

Are you pushing the clutch pedal ALL the way in to try to engage the low range? And you should be at a complete stop, although sometimes you can roll the tractor slightly one way or the other to get it to engage.

rmaynard

Have you checked the dog-point set screw that holds the shift lever in place?

aab1bd2c.jpg

WH854

I have a 310 that works fine in high but when I put in low its almost like its not letting me slide the lever to the left enough. Looking through the slide hole I can see the bar is routed under a structural piece and it restricts the lever from being pushed all the way left. Does this sound right? I will take a pic tomorrow to illustrate what I mean. Its been like this since I bought it. It's just annoyed me enough now where I am motivated to fix it.

Are you talking about the HI LOW shifter not going into low :D or the other shifter for the four gears not going into low gear :ROTF: I agree with tunahead72 take the plate of and try it without the plate :woohoo: possible you may have a bent shifter fork.

Chas

rmaynard

:woohoo: I misread the question. I now assume it's a hi/lo problem. If it is not a bent shift lever. the roll pin that mounts it could be sheared. That would allow it to stay in whichever range it was in when the pin sheared. If that's not it, the mechanism inside the transmission may have broken or gotten bent.

d3e83f58.jpg

sned

It is the high low lever that is in question. I never let the tractor move when changing gears or shifting from high to low. I push the lever left and let out the clutch. I will make it about ten feet before it pops out. If I hold the lever left real tight I can keep it in low. This becomes a pain when I am trying to scoop dirt. My rear I believe is not original. It has the larger inch and eighth axles. Looking through the slot this lever is under either the part the clutch pivots on or the brake does and when I push the lever left being under the part I am describing it keeps it from going all the way left. I am going from memory. I will post pics and a better description when I get home. posting this reply from my phone stinks.

sned

OK had a chance to look at the tractor and I got a better handle on it. I didn't feel like rolling it out of the barn and my camera was not capturing it well. The high/low lever is routed under a bar that connects to the brake. when pushing it right it does not hit it but when pushing it left it is extremely limited in movement. Regardless moving it left or right it rubs on the brake connection.

Here come the pics I will try and describe them.

IMAG0260.jpg

This one is just for fun

IMAG0266.jpg

This is a top view looking towards the seat. You can see it is hitting the part that connects to the parking brake. My thought is this lever should be on top of this not under it.

IMAG0267.jpg

Now looking towards the front of the tractor showing how the lever is being restricted.

IMAG0270.jpg

Lever is moved to the right now. You can see there is a little bit more room between the bend and the parking brake

IMAG0271.jpg

Last I fear the lever is welded on top instead of being held on with a pin. I will get the wheel off and get a closer look soon.

silverado.jpg

Another fun one. I am building a 30mph power wheels. Still not finished....

rmaynard

This looks correct:

b2fe3ac5.jpg

Where the yellow line is drawn, there is a roll pin that goes through the shifter and the shaft that sticks up out of the tranny. When the shifter is in HIGH, the horizontal portion of the shaft should be point just a degree or so left of straight forward. When the shifter is moved to the LOW position, the vertical portion of the shifter (sticking up through the shift pattern plate) should only move to about halfway in the slot. Not even an eight of a turn.

If it is trying to go farther than that, I would first suspect the roll pin is broken.

TT

My rear I believe is not original. It has the larger inch and eighth axles.

Without this important bit of information, I'd be telling you to remove & split the tranz - betting on internal issues with the shift fork or detents.

But....... when :D went to the wider hoodstand design, the high/low shifter was lengthened & bent a little differently to clear the brake cross shaft. I'm pretty sure that the portion that pushes down over the shift shaft on top of the tranz is also a little shorter too.

I'm going to go to the shop and see if I can find both types of shifters to compare. (I should have them somewhere)

Stay tuned. :woohoo:

TT

Well..........

Naturally I can't find the 417-8 shifter I know I have. :woohoo:

I did find three high/low shifters and they're all different, but none coincide with my "easy fix".

I guess you'll have to pull the seat/fender and brake cross shaft so you can remove your shifter and have a look for yourself. :D

Answer this though...... are both shifters on your tractor painted black near the top?

sned

IMAG0274.jpg

IMAG0273.jpg

Hope this helps. You can even see the high low lever doesn't sit right in the slot.

TT

Yep...... the high/low shifter for that generation should have close to a 90 degree bend at the bottom so it comes up through the "console" plate almost vertically.

The main shifter would also be a little different so it lines up with the plate better. (a bit of a dogleg bend - if I remember correctly)

I'd try a little shifter tweaking first. :woohoo:

sned

Thanks TT for your help. I will have a look at it probably add a little length and bend it to the proper angle. I hope it fixes my problem and I don't have to crack the rear open. Seeing all these rusty photos makes me want to repaint my tractor.... I didn't think it was that bad.

sned

Update to my issue I cut the shifter up and reconfigured it so it doesn't rub anymore. Works beautifully now. Shifts from high to low with ease and stays in low. Thanks again for everyones help!

tunahead72

:thumbs2:

TT

Good deal!!!!! (I wish they were all that easy to fix! :thumbs2: )