Sign in to follow this  
refracman

diversifing the herd

refracman

I really like the look of the 46/47 lever steer. So when I seen these come up for sale I picked them up.

The Economy is a 59, just had to clean the carb and tank. It runs and drives nice :woohoo:

The Red E is another story. It runs good but the rear end has issues to say the least but fixable. So its getting fixed, havent decided if I'm going to paint it or slap it back together. I like'em when the look like they was just pulled out of the field.

On to the pics!

PictureorVideo235.jpg

PictureorVideo234.jpg

PictureorVideo230.jpg

PictureorVideo227.jpg

and what it looks like now

whatsleft.jpg

rmaynard

What's the availability of parts for them? I see a few things on eBay from time to time for the Economy, but rarely for the Red.

refracman

The Economy parts are out there you just have to look.

The is little to no information on the Red E and even less in the way of manuals or parts. The trans is a T92 same as the Economy and the rear carrier is a Crosley, the rest of the rearend is Red E which means I'm on my own for parts.

Rollerman

Steve nice tractors, I had an Economy Jim Dandy very similar to yours at one time (more fun finding them than keeping them :woohoo: )

Anyway what parts does the Red E need.

The 46 Pond lever I had was missing the bull & pinion gear on one side as I found it.

I got lucky & found a gear shop who's owners were into rusty iron & built me a new set very reasonable.

So if parts can't be found....they can be made & affordable to if you look in the right places.

refracman

Thanks Stephen

Ya the I like the hunt, then gettin them goin I think more than keepin them, but with 3 of these big wheel oldies Im startin to take a liken to them.

The Red E has a partial stripped axel gear. I'm thnikin I can flip it and have enough spline to at least drive it with no problems as only half of the ID splines are striped and the axel is not bad. The bronze bushings that act as axel bearings are shot, which caused the problem, so I'll be on the hunt for them. Hopefully there are of stock size, if not I'll be tring my hand with the lathe and mill I picked up over the winter. If thats the case its only been 30 odd years since I've done any machining so it could get interesting!

rj35hunter

Steve, there was an article about the Red-E tractors in the LAGC magazine May/June 2011 Volume 5 Issue 3. It does seem like a very rare tractor.

squonk

There is a Red-E advertised near me at a super price for what goes with it. It would be mine if I had the cash! :thumbs2: :banghead: