Sign in to follow this  
mattd860

520h Questions

mattd860

I just looked at a 1992 520h for sale locally. Everything was great except I have a concern about the forward/reverse motion lever on the steering column. The machine was very unresponsive to the lever. I had to really push the lever forward or backwards or the tractor wouldn't even move. I did have the throttle on max too.

What especially concerned me was reverse. Even with throttle on max, reverse was not any faster than low-range reverse on my C-120 8 speed. That is rather unacceptable for me.

Is this normal or indicative of something wrong? Can it be a worn spring or something in the hydro rear end? I drove it up and down a very steep hill and it never changed speed or anything like that. Over all it seemed very solid and well kept but I don't like that motion lever. The hydro lift lever was very quick and responsive.

300zx

Mathew, my guess is that it is the linkage. Lift the seat and see if the linkage is going full stroke. The font adjustment is for centering neutral and the back bolt adjusts the tension on the movement of the hydro.

Good luck,

John

CRE1992

Could also be the pump, if not the pump the linkage, oil and filter. There could be the wrong oil in there as well as the wrong filter causing problems.

mattd860

filter is a toro wheel horse and he's useing 10W-30 oil in the rear end.

can whlvr

with out actually seeing the machine its hard to give a proper answer but beacause tha lift works good and it climbs hills no problem it sure seems like linkage as stated allready

Forest Road

I had a similar problem on a 520. PO repulsed the battery sand dropped one of the hold down rods in the dash tower. It interfered with the motion lever movement. Cost him a lot st time of sale. Buy I was very concerned as well.

SAM58

The 1992 520 I had was slow in reverse, the linkage was lose at each connection.

It still did not go as fast in reverse as my 1996 model.