Sign in to follow this  
Anglo Traction

Great Dorset Steam Fair

Anglo Traction

I thought I'd stick a toe in the water to see if this Show would be a good venue for meeting up with as many as possible.

I know the location may be too far for you Guys up North, but as the majority are located in the West Country anyway, it makes sense to pick this one.

It's a month away (Weds 31st Aug - Sun 4th Sept).

If it is a Go-er, we will need to arrange a meet point (i.e. A Beer Tent) , as it covers 600 acres !.

What do you think?.

Regards.

neil

You must have read my mind Dickie as i had the same thought last night and was going to put a thread on to see what interest came up.

I for one am going to the show and would be delighted to have a couple of sherberts with you and others .

will keep in touch over the next few weeks

look forward to finally meeting you

Regards Neil

Mith

I am booked to attend Weds/Thurs/Fri.

The beer tent near the crossing in the playpen usually has a good view.

farmer

Harvest tends to dictate for me, however the crops are forward and with more good weather I'll be there, can't say which day though. :D My family would probably appreciate an hour around the "brick a brac" without me. :ROTF:

I'll watch this post. :woohoo:

PS I go by the site regularly, the Ricks for the threshers are being made now!

wheeledhorseman

As usual I'll be there for the Thursday it can't be earlier in the week as we don't get back from the Havenstreet Steam Fair on the IOW until Tuesday. We'll be taking the caravan down on Weds afternoon and have tickets for the show for Thursday. Will be there all day as we have two nights booked on the campsite. So count me in if there's to be a meet on Thursday.

On a slightly different but related tack it occurred to me that I'm reasonably central for guys in southern England. The land and barn where the :woohoo: s get restored then have to work is in the New Forest National Park at the village of Nomansland. There's an excellent pub (The Lamb) that does good food in the village and even a French restaurant. Camping for tents or caravans wouldn't be a problem or there are many B&Bs in the area so a little get together like an end of season or pre-season meet would be possible sometime if anyone thinks its a good idea. You could of course even bring a horse with you to ride round on or bits to swap or trade.

pmackellow

We are giving Dorset a miss this year unfortunately, we are attending the one day Alresford Show in Hampshire with a stand for the VHGMC, there will no doubt be some :woohoo: there as our two will be going plus whatever Chris Sutton brings...

Anglo Traction

Well Gents, it seems Thursday is looking to be most popular so far, so I'll go firm and come along that day.

I understand it is difficult for people to juggle their lives and duties around planned dates.

However, I like Andy's (wheeledhorseman) idea of a 'Session' sometime in the Autumn (Fall) at his suggested venue. I'll be up for it! :woohoo: .....B&B, Food, Drink & some W/Horses in the New Forest area......couldn't ask for more. So anyone else interested?.

neil

I could be interested , seem like it could be a giggle

do you plan on taking a tractor with you ?

I will try and make the thursday for the dorset steam fair also

landsurveyor

Andys idea seems like a great one, might spur me on to finish my restoration....

I also know where it is, would be great to see you again Andy.

I will be at the Dorset steam fair on Wednesday and Friday.

Hope to meet with some of you soon.

Simon

Mith

I'm always up for beer and tractor talk.

Does anyone want to suggest a time and a place for dorset and I'll be there?

wheeledhorseman

Re Dorset Steam Fair:

So Thursday it seems to be but which beer tent and when? It would also be useful to swap mobile numbers by pm.

Is anyone else actually staying at the ground i.e. camping, as I'll be there both Wednesday and Thursday evening and could be pursuaded to sup a few ales (it has been known).

Re possible social get together aka 'end of season':

I like Andy's (wheeledhorseman) idea of a 'Session' sometime in the Autumn (Fall) at his suggested venue. I'll be up for it! .....B&B, Food, Drink & some W/Horses in the New Forest area......couldn't ask for more. So anyone else interested?. (Richard)

I could be interested , seem like it could be a giggle

do you plan on taking a tractor with you ? (Neil)

Andys idea seems like a great one, might spur me on to finish my restoration....

I also know where it is, would be great to see you again Andy. (Simon)

Looks like we may have a little social gathering possible. The only weekend I can't do is Sept 10th & 11th. I'll be at a weekend end of season get together for military vehicles held at a friend's field elsewhere in the Forest (its what the idea of a :woohoo: end of season came from).

Come for a day if it's what you can manage or spend the weekend in the Forest.

Camp at the field or B&B nearby.

A BBQ would be no problem, if it's wet then we could do it in the barn.

Of course, bring a :D if you can but don't worry if you can't - I have three working ones - I'm sure with a bit of creative thought we can think of things to do with them.

If you bring a trailer with :ROTF: and you're thinking of B&B, no probs re security, leave the trailer and :D at the barn overnight.

Dogs welcome.

Even if only a few can make it this time round, no worries - it's still worth doing I think, as from tiny acorns.......

Could be fun.

What weekends are you guys free?

farmer

Well, it looks like a nice week weather wise is forcast, unfortunately for me that follows three weeks of "British summer" so I have to to play catch up....no steam fair for me again. :thumbs2:

I will be about two miles away in a field baling straw with steam fair fm on the radio!

I hope those of you that attend, enjoy it...I'm sure you will. :banghead:

Anglo Traction

Truely sorry you can't make it Rex. Sure was hoping to meet up with you there.

I understand the weather dilemma and Farming work and it's 'Set Fair' for the week.

Maybe you'll be able to make an end of season meet as Andy has suggested.

We'll have a Beer (or 3) for you.