Sign in to follow this  
Jim_M

Bad storm here too

Jim_M

A heck of a storm just rolled through here. Pouring rain, lightning and high winds. My yard looks like a battlefield. Branches everywhere, but luckily no damage to any buildings.

The woman next door didn't get as lucky, she's got a huge maple beside her driveway and the top broke out. Part of it hit the corner of her house and is blocking her back door and garage door, the other part is still hanging over her house. If we get any more wind it's going to come down right on the center of her house. I would go cut it up for her, but all of the power lines are tangled up in and under it, so I think I'll stay clear.

The guy across the street has about a 65 foot chinese elm down across his driveway, all over the front yard and in his pond. It looks it was hit by an artillery round.

I was in the shower when it all hit, the power went out and I had to stand there and wait for a minute and a half for the standby generator to start up, warm up and switch over, a minor inconvenience compared to what the neighbors will be going through. It's hot and humid and the last time we had a storm like this we were without power for 7 days. Thankfully I just changed the oil and filter in the generator last week, so I should be good to go.

As soon as it lets up I'm going to take a drive and see what it looks like out there.

Kelly

Glad to here you made out ok. A gen. like that would be nice, at least I have a gen. period. don't know what I'd do, with out it.

Teddy da Bear

What's your location Jim?

mcwh1950

hope you all doing good .../// if we can help let as know {{{{{i hate that wwww work}i was in a battle=====zone take care of all kid and neighbor first and you will aaa better better person .

Jim_M

I'm on the southwest corner of Fort Wayne, Indiana. I just took a drive around the area and it looks a lot of the major businesses, stores, gas stations, etc. are out of power too. That means I'll be running on the generator for a while, residential customers are always last, and since I'm the second to the last house on a dead end road it always takes a while for them to get around to getting power back on here.

The generator runs the whole house, well and A/C too, so we will be just fine. It runs on natural gas so I don't have to fill it up, or worry about it running out of fuel. The only thing I have to worry about is paying the gas bill this month, and it will be a dandy if the generator runs for a week. :whistle:

I'll probably take the day off tomorrow and cut up branches and blown down trees here and for the neighbors.

Rollerman

Jim glad you came out all right other than the power deal.

Carefull cutting trees up too.... :whistle:

T-Mo

Jim,

I'm glad you made out okay, so far, in the storm. It seems like almost everyday or two, there is a new storm or several new storms somewhere. Weather sure is crazy lately. :whistle:

Jim_M

My internet is down at home too as of this morning. I'm guessing the power crews must have cut some cables in order to get the power lines back up. It's a good thing I came to work, at least I can check my e-mails and let all of the out of town relatives know that everything is ok. I'll probably leave early so I can start cleaning up, if it quits raining.

I heard on the radio this morning there are still 17,000 of us without power.

Jim_M

Well the trees are cut up and the power came back on at about 6:15 this morning. Life is normal again, at least as close as it's going to get.

T-Mo

That's good to hear, Jim. Hopefully there wasn't too much damage to your yard and the neighbor's, other than what you mentioned - which was bad enough. :whistle: