Raider12

Proper ID on an 8 speed Transmission

Raider12

My Raider 12's transmission (5073) has a mlot of wear and tear on it over the years and has held up quite well. But it's time to freshen things up. I have another 8 speed on the shelf that I believe came out of a C-120 from the early to mid 70's (5091) Are there any BIG differences between the two of them? I know the 5073 is the "limited slip" and has 10 pinion diff. But other than this, any reason I can't swap this 5091 right into my Raider?

TT

It should be a a direct swap. :woohoo:

Raider12

It should be a a direct swap. :woohoo:

Are there any way to positivly ID the doner transmission? As look through the model list there are a few different 8 speed transmissions. Will they all use the same seals and axle bearings etc?

TT

They're almost impossible to ID unless you have or know the tractor it came out of - and that doesn't always "hold water" if you don't know the history of the machine. (could have been swapped before)

Seals and bearings were identical between many 8 speed models. It's hard to tell what you have / need without seeing it though. :woohoo:

littleredrider

I swapped 8-speeds into two different lawn rangers. If it's nearly a bolt on for those, it should for yours!!!! :woohoo:

Raider12

The transmission I want to use, I also wanted to freshen it up first> New seals and gasket etc before installing it. I will take pic and see if there is any way to figure out what model it came out of.

stevasaurus

Raider...should work for you. Post pictures when you tear them down...we may be able to ID the trans or at least narrow it down. I know of 3 things to look for when swapping transmissions...

1. measure the distance of the mounting bolt holes.

2. the brake drum shaft comes out of the same spot on the transmission cases.

3. axle thickness & length.

If the above 3 things are the same, you are looking at a bolt on swap...and the bearings and seals should be the same :woohoo: If you have any differences, you can still make it work, but will require some modifications. Some of the gears will be common in both transmissions.

Don't quote me on this, but I have a theory that I have not tried yet. If the bull gears are the same...the big gear in the center of the differential...and the axles are the same thickness...you may be able to swap the differentials. :ROTF: Then you can keep the limited slip if you want to. If you tear them down at the same time...check it out and please let me know. :D

SAM58

It will be a direct swap, although you will notice a difference on hills from the Raider transmission to a C120. I did almost the same thing. :D

I had a 1972 Raider 12, and replaced it with a 1977 model without the limited slip. It still worked really good, but i did notice that it would spin out a lot easier than the original Raider tranny.

I sold the tractor but still have the old tranny, and I plan to do a complete rebuild someday. :woohoo:

Raider12

My plan was fresh'n up the doner trans with seals and anything else that looks questionable and to swap in a limited slip diff from another Raider 12. I have purchased just a limit slip diff a while back off Ebay. So this way I would end up with a trans that works just as it should in a Raider. I'll get some pice posted soon.

Raider12

Here are a few photos of the doner transaxle. The brake shaft is 3/4" diameter. The axles are 1 1/8 diameter as well. Does the bracket for the seat pan help ID what this came off of? I need to narrow this down so I order the correct seals bearings etc. One other question, is there a vendor best to use to buy these parts outside of Wheel Horse dealer? Thank guys, for the input.

IMG_5847.jpg

IMG_5846.jpg

IMG_5844.jpg

TT

Looks like it could be a 103916 to me - which was used in the second and third generation C series tractors. (like the C-121 or C-165, etc.)

The newer 110995 would be similar, but all of those I've seen had the end of the axle / wheel pilot / shifters painted black. (300/400/500 series)

Raider12

Thanks TT, I apprciate your expertise!

stevasaurus

I would listen to TT at this point...this is where I stop offering advise, and start to learn from him also. TT, I noticed that his trans has the brake drum located on the shaft that comes up from the cluster gear...instead of the 11-44T gear. I am sure we can give you a parts list for the bearings and seals. :woohoo:

Raider12

I am sure we can give you a parts list for the bearings and seals. :woohoo:

I looked up the model of the trans here on Redsquare and then looked up the model of tractor it came in. I then went to Peachree and ordered the seals and a few known to go bad bearings. I think I good to go right now. But I may have to ask for help again. I have had these transmission apart before. But it has been at least 20 years ago.

stevasaurus

:D please let me know if you try to see if the differentials would swap. :woohoo:

Raider12

:D please let me know if you try to see if the differentials would swap. :woohoo:

You bet. Im hoping to tear into this unit in the next night or two. I'll keep ya posted.

stevasaurus

Thanks... :D If you need anything...let me know. :woohoo: